vodafone or Movistar in Marbella area????
Posted: 01 September 2007 09:08 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-09

It is going to be 2 month since i move to Marbella i have already internet and telephone from Telefonica?? i have been so busy roaming with my American AT&T phone i pretty much forgot about getting a new mobile in Spain.  I have Iphone that i got in the U.S when they came out and i have been able to roam with no problem using some network i dont know??? Now allot of people have told me allot of different versions some say Movistar has the best signal and it si cheaper allot of people have told me that Vodafone signal is just as good and in Europe as a whole it has a better network??? no roaming anywere in Europe. I have also been told that I-phone in Europe is going to use Vodafone .. I see allot of britts in marbella using their UK vodafones with no problems please advise which has the best signal????????

Posted: 01 September 2007 10:13 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Go with Vodafone. Definitely.

You can now unlock your iPhone too, although I believe you have to send it away for a bit to do so. I’ll see if I can dig up the link, in the mean time search for “unlocked iPhone techcrunch” on Google and I think you’ll find it. Once it’s unlocked you can pop your Vodafone SIM in there and, while YouTube and visual voicemail might not work, you can pretty much use everything else.

How do you like your iPhone?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 02 September 2007 05:37 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-09

I do not want to due that because any kind or guaranteed will be lost. Neverthless i have research that vodafone does not have the platform to support the iphone. I have heard stories that Movistar will provide the service in Spain??? but those rumors have been discarted by apple Yet???????. I have read that Vodafone will be the exclusive provider in Europe because vodafone is everywere and is the largest mobile company with the best networks!!!!! But my question is if Vodafone signal as good or better than Movistar????????

The I-phone is the best phone i ever had. AT&T platform is getting much better and i have been roaming in Europe only voice???? for the past 2 months?????? If Vodafone obtains the exclusivity i think my I-Phone which is a US edition will be lock in Europe for all the other service…...........

Posted: 02 September 2007 05:46 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Woah dude, English here, please. Wanna try that again without contradicting yourself?

I just checked out this page and it suggests that the iPhone won’t be coming to Spain in 2007, instead waiting till 2008 while the rest of Western Europe gets to play with it before Christmas.

Vodafone and Movistar have about the same network. It depends where you are. Movistar is well known for screwing you over as it’s a subsidiary of Telefonica, see the Telefonica Rage section for more on that. We have quite a bit about the different carriers on our mobile phones in Spain page too.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 02 September 2007 07:00 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-09

Forgive me my first language is Spanish???? since I ‘ve been here i am thinking in Spanish and writting in English????  and that is why i sound so different. My English is not Brittish is American??? I’ll try to slow down a little so you could understand me better?????

So Spain is getting it after the rest of Europe?????? in the Mac forums they are saying that Vodafone will launch it in Europe at the same time for all countries. But negotiations between apple and Vodafone are still going on so maybe it will be next year?????

Posted: 02 September 2007 09:32 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

It helps to use question marks only when you’re asking a question.

It would seem that these are only rumours so far, so it’s hard to say anything definitive. I was just pointing out that post as it seems to be at the top of the heap on google for “iphone in Spain.” He could be wrong, I don’t know. Hopefully everyone gets it at the same time. Now that the iPhone can be unlocked I would bet that will change Apple’s strategy though; they might not worry so much about signing exclusive agreements with the providers since, theoretically, you’ll be able to unlock it and switch to any other provider with (as it would seem) 3G, since they probably won’t make the same mistake of going with the EDGE network again.

Signature