Bank accounts for tourists? US citizen, non resident, account for occasional use?
Posted: 09 February 2007 04:09 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-02-09

I apologize if this has been answered a hundred times, but I’m still unclear on the details.

I’m a US citizen, living in England, with no visa for Spain other than the standard tourist stamp they give you when you turn up at the local airport.  I don’t intend to get any visas, either, because I don’t intend to work in Spain or stay longer than 6-8 weeks at any given time.  However, because I am a PhD student in the UK and my research is about Spain, I travel there frequently.  So far I have just paid for things with UK or US credit cards or cash, but my advisor has asked me to set up a Spanish bank account. 

I have seen the non-resident accounts mentioned, but I’m not clear on what “justifying your nonresident status” means, nor the right term in Spanish for this kind of account.  Has anyone in a similar situation opened an account in Spain, and have you found it to be an advantage at all?

Posted: 09 February 2007 11:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Mander,

Don’t sweat the details too much. Just go into the bank you’ve chosen (hopefully a caja - they’re cheaper) and ask for a non-resident account. Bring your passport, that’s all you need. You’ll probably have to provide an address however. Not sure if that’s a problem for you, but if so then you may need to venture over to Los Correos and get a PO Box first.

How’s your Spanish? If not so good then I suggest bringing a translator.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 03 October 2007 10:26 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-10-03

Hi,

In this web site http://www.usa2beok.com are showed several ways for getting an US Bank Account for Non US Residents, in the sections ?Free US Bank Account? and ?Debit & Virtual Cards?.

Regards.

Posted: 04 October 2007 02:00 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Ask for a cuenta corriente. I opened mine without a Spanish address - before I bought a property in the country - and there was no problem at all; they only wanted a passport for I.D.  They won’t give you an overdraft, however, so you need to keep a comfortable balance in the account. There is normally a small charge for an ATM/debit card - I think we pay ?3 per year or something. Make sure you choose a bank with a “caja electronica” or whatever they call their internet facility, as this is essential if you’re not in Spain all the time.  I guess all of them have this now, but ask anyway. Charges for cash withdrawl from ATMs other than your own bank can be really high, so there’s an argument for choosing one of the big banks with branches everywhere.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 08 October 2007 07:32 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-06-20

Hi All

I have a working relationship with a ‘Caja’ here in Spain and have often looked at ways in which I can help my clients.

I have the authority to open client accounts and set you up with internet banking so that whilst your not here you can manage your account, the only thing you have to do is pick up your ATM cards from your local branch.

Anyone needing this type of help - please let me know.

Kind regards

RivieraDelSol

Posted: 20 November 2007 04:24 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-11-20

I too, before receiving my residency papers, had a “cuenta extranjero” through a caja/caixa.  However, there are a number of international banks such as Barclays that have branches here in Spain.  You might want to just explore choosing a main bank in England that has branches in Spain.  I would just check on the exchange fees when using their ATMs versus maintaining a euro account here and having to periodically wire transfer or carry money to the Spanish bank.