Electrical goods from the Uk. Will they work in Spain?
Posted: 29 September 2006 12:18 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-09-21

Please could someone advise on whether my electrical items ie. washing machine, hoover etc. will work in Spain or should I just buy new?

Posted: 04 October 2006 07:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

We talk about that on our electricity in Spain page a bit…

But specifically no, not without an adapter. The UK uses a different physical connection. If the current/voltage is the same (which I’m not sure about because I’m not from the UK) then you may be able to pick up a travel adapter cheaply. Otherwise you’ll have to buy a proper electrical current altering adapter like they sell at travel stores, but much more expensively (maybe 15 pounds and up?).

It’s probably just easier to buy those things here though, once you account for the moving costs and hassle of dealing with the adapters and such, it’s much easier to just buy your electrical appliances in Spain.

Hope that helps

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 October 2006 10:58 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

I assume that you are referring to UK electrical goods - if so then yes they will work (well mine did) but of course you will have to change the plugs or use an adaptor. To be honest I would advice buying new in Spain and having the local guarantees - also if you are buying a new property - some builders include white goods. You wont use a hoover much on tiled floors!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca