Short term internet in spain
Posted: 17 September 2007 05:38 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-09-17

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum.
I am going be in spain for a couple of months, hopefully in a quiet town like Olvera.
But I need internet! How feasible is it to get a short term dialup account ?
Are 3g datacards still extremely expensive?

Thanks

Posted: 17 September 2007 10:02 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2007-08-18
Ausdon - 17 September 2007 05:38 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum.
I am going be in spain for a couple of months, hopefully in a quiet town like Olvera.
But I need internet! How feasible is it to get a short term dialup account ?
Are 3g datacards still extremely expensive?

Thanks

For G3, the cards themselves arent that expensive…it’s the plan that will kill you…I think that Vodafone, for example is in the neighborhood of 70 or 80? per month, with limited data transfer of course…but that is what I remember when I checked it out myself.  There are free dial up accounts here in Spain…Check out terra.com or ya.com

Posted: 02 October 2007 04:24 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-10-02

It is extremely difficult to get short term internet in Spain. Most companies will have you sign up for a year minimum contract. If you pull out they will bill you the months even if you’re not using the service.

Be very careful what you sign up for since many comercial agents will sell you adsl solutions and tell you that you can pay for just a few months but then after you’ve signed up they keep charging you and the fine print might read differently.

Signature 

Rentals Estepona - Apartments, Townhouses and Villas for rent in Estepona.
Satellite Sotogrande - Satellite Installations in Sotogrande and the Costa del Sol.

Posted: 02 October 2007 06:33 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2007-08-18
Marcosll - 02 October 2007 04:24 PM

It is extremely difficult to get short term internet in Spain. Most companies will have you sign up for a year minimum contract. If you pull out they will bill you the months even if you’re not using the service.

Be very careful what you sign up for since many comercial agents will sell you adsl solutions and tell you that you can pay for just a few months but then after you’ve signed up they keep charging you and the fine print might read different

This is so true.  My father in law wanted to cancel his satellite subscription (I think it was Canal+)  They just refused to cancel the account event though it had passed the minum contract time.

Posted: 02 October 2007 07:55 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Ausdon’s question also pertained to getting quick and easy dial up access. And the answer to that is yes, dial up internet is mostly free in Spain. Check out our page on Internet in Spain. Gonutsforfree is one of the free providers of dial up, but their ADSL services come at a premium (not sure about short term contracts though).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 04 December 2007 05:41 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-12-04

I am afraid it is not possible to have a short term ADSL connection. I asked for one myself because I will be a month in Las Palmas and then moving to Madrid. They told me it is not possible. I tried at ONO and Telefonica. There are not many Expats-oriented services as you will see.

Posted: 05 December 2007 03:41 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-12-05
The Expatriator - 02 October 2007 07:55 PM

Ausdon’s question also pertained to getting quick and easy dial up access. And the answer to that is yes, dial up internet is mostly free in Spain. Check out our page on Internet in Spain. Gonutsforfree is one of the free providers of dial up, but their ADSL services come at a premium (not sure about short term contracts though).

Yes I also have used their connection. They are providing great facilities and doing superb job in this field.

Signature 

With the enhancement of technology, now, you can track a flight every time whether it is morning or night. Did anyone visit atlanta hotels?