Posted: 11 January 2008 02:14 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-01-11

Hi All!

This is my first post, so I’ll include a brief introduction;
Skip this if it doesn’t interest you 😊
I’m a 30 year old married, South African male caucasian. My wife and I are sick and tired of the crime, corruption and ‘reverse appartheid’ here in SA and think it’s time to move(overdue!). I work in IT, but have 5 years study + work experience in Shiatsu massage but gave it up for the sake of income. My wife is fully bilingual(English & Spanish) and works in PR. We are both working on how we’re going to move over securely. My errr Spanish is still quite poor unfortunately.

My questions follow:
1. How easy would it be to go Autonomo as a massage therapist? (My concerns are whether they will recognise my certification - which SA, coincidentally, does not)
2. It seems there are several ‘modes/flavours’ of Autonomo; which one would apply to me?
3. What amount of money would I need to have in the bank?
4. Is there anyone here that would be interested in interviewing me for employment, if I flew over(for either IT(Junior .NET Development(C#)/SQL ) work or massage) <—-lots of brackets 😛

Anyone that could offer me ANY guidance and advice on these topics, I would be extremely grateful!

We have a friend in Spain, who unfortunately is very busy and not being an expat can’t give as much advice on all of this.
We are REALLY desperate to move, I’d even marry him to bypass the legal system, but this would not really help my wife 😛

Thank you to anyone who responds!

Mark.

Posted: 11 January 2008 07:18 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
SA=2muchCrime - 11 January 2008 02:14 PM

1. How easy would it be to go Autonomo as a massage therapist? (My concerns are whether they will recognise my certification - which SA, coincidentally, does not)
2. It seems there are several ‘modes/flavours’ of Autonomo; which one would apply to me?
3. What amount of money would I need to have in the bank?
4. Is there anyone here that would be interested in interviewing me for employment, if I flew over(for either IT(Junior .NET Development(C#)/SQL ) work or massage) <—-lots of brackets 😛

I’ll take a whack at it here:

1. Going autonomo, legally, is easy enough. Making a go of it as business is another thing. I can’t offer any advice on whether they’ll accept your certification, but Spain is pretty lax about certifications and such (in my experience). There seem to be a lot of alternative/eastern medicinal services here in Barcelona though (ie. lots of competition).

2. What do you mean?

3. I believe it’s about 3500?

4. Too bad you’re a microsoftie. If you were LAMP… 😉

Hope that helps a bit for now!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 11 January 2008 10:16 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-01-11

Thank you for your response. I have mailed you with further badgering 😊

2. I mean that from what I can tell, you may be Autonomo as an investor, Partner (silent or otherwise), or perhaps in many different industries. I’m not quite sure what I’m talking about, lol…but I thought there are more than one status types linked to Autonomo….

Posted: 14 January 2008 05:38 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

what part off SA was in hoat bay over the x mas time had good few days there
jurdy

Posted: 14 January 2008 09:57 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-01-11

Johannesburg, Gauteng Province.

Posted: 16 January 2008 04:34 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-01-16

Hello,

Yes Im confused about what different types there are of Autonomo as well.

Does anyone have any more info??

Thanks!

Kristen

Posted: 16 January 2008 11:15 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

I think there is only one type of Autonomo although it is also sometimes called Cuenta Propia.

However because of the many different types of work that could be undertaken there are variations on the paperwork ie if you handling food you need a Food Handling Certificate (this also applies in the UK under EU Health and Safety legislation) so not everything can be blamed onto over zealous Spanish bureaucracy!

I have found a document produced by the Spanish Institute of National Employment - its in English and covers lots of things (although I think it was written a couple of years ago)

http://www.mtas.es

click welcome for English

click Services for Employment

click Working in Spain

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca