What does it take to get a self-employed visa?
Posted: 25 October 2006 09:04 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-10-25

I am an American, and I want to move to Spain for two years starting next September (2007). My fiance (not husband) is going to be stationed in Rota for 2 years, and we want to live there together. Unfortunately, not being married, there is no way I can go on behalf of the military.

I want to be in Spain, legally, any way I can. I have a bachelors degree in photojournalism, and I worked for a newspaper for a little while after college before doing some small freelance projects, but now I work full-time as an accountant. I do not speak fluent Spanish (but I am learning!), so I feel that it will be close to impossible to apply for and receive a job offer in accounting (or anything) in order to get a work visa.

So my question is, can I go to Spain as a self-employed person? I am about to officially start my own corporation (as a single, freelance photographer - mainly for tax purposes) here in the U.S. - is that sufficient to allow me to be in Spain legally as self-employed? I do intend to do freelance photography, but I can’t rely on that to help pay bills, so I do want to look for a job as soon as I get there (after one year of intensive Spanish lessons, hopefully I will be able to speak some Spanish). Is that allowed? Or is a self-employed visa only for being self-employed - no job with a company allowed.

Thanks!

Posted: 25 October 2006 02:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Creatively speaking of course, you may be able to qualify for a non-lucrative visa and maintain all invoices for your corporation and your employment payable to your US company… You won’t be able to get a job (legally), but you’ll be able to stay in the country. Working via the Internet is awfully ambiguous…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.