Hopefully something you can answer quick..
Posted: 27 February 2008 11:55 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-02-27

Hey.  I apologise in advance if this has been covered already but I’ve scoured around and didn’t find any help that completely matches my situation (how selfish, eh?).

My girlfriend lives in Spain and we’ve decided that I should stay and live with her for the rest of this year before we both go to the UK and look to buy a house together there.  My name won’t be on the list of the apartment.  While I am over there I do intend to work and I’m looking to start learning the Spanish language from tomorrow, ha (any hints on what is best to use helping with this, that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg would be helpful too).

As an EU citizen do I not need to apply for any visa?  I’m asking because I don’t want to get over there and find myself restricted in any way.  Are there any forms/visas/notification that I will need before I go, or that I should apply for while I am there?

Any help I would be eternally grateful for.

Thanks,
Andy.

Posted: 28 February 2008 01:36 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Andy,

“Scoured” you say? From our visas page, second paragraph:
“If you?re an EU citizen, you don?t need a visa; you already have the right to residency .  You?ll probably find it useful, though, to apply for an NIE.”

And…

Best ways to learn Spanish

:D

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 28 February 2008 02:03 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-02-27

Haha.  I found those pages afterwards!

Is that all I’ll need though?  There shouldn’t be any problems elsewhere, tax-wise?  I don’t want to end up locked away for something I unwilling/ignorantly forgot to do.

As for learning Spanish.. I have about 3 weeks to nail down the basics.  Would it be better to just to get a basic grasp on the language and learn more while over there in conversation (and also with teaching) instead of trying to fast-track everything?

Posted: 28 February 2008 02:11 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Well, fast-tracking is a good idea. Best bet is to pony up some cash to pay for an intensive 3 week course upon your arrival. It’ll be tough, but it will help enormously.

Register for your NIE as soon as you get here, pay your taxes, don’t get belligerently drunk. You’ll be okay.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 28 February 2008 02:58 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-02-27

With the NIE page it goes to a Spanish site with a long list of links.  Couldn’t give me a heads up of which would be best to go for?

I noticed also that in the comments a lot of people are saying it has changed.  Could you be as kind (I know you can be 😉) as to give me a brief run-down or what I need to do once I enter the country?  And what may or may not have changed since the original piece was written?

Sorry to be a pain.

Posted: 28 February 2008 06:42 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

N.I.E. (EX14) / RESIDENCIA (EX16)

Forms and the Regulations Governing EU citizens in Spain document.

http://extranjeros.mtas.es/

For forms - Click: Modelos de Solictudes

Or direct link
http://extranjeros.mtas.es/es/general/procedimientos_Solicitudes_index.html

For the Regulations document Click UK flag &
R?gimen de los ciudadanos Comunitarios en Espa?a

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 28 February 2008 09:31 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-02-27

Appreciate the responses a lot, thanks.

These can be filled in once you’re in Spain, right?  Or would you recommend doing it in England (Spanish Embassy which would be in London, right?) before-hand?

So from what I’ve read I’ll need my passport (original) as well as one photocopy, and two passport sized photos as well as this form completed?  Not missing something am I, or got incorrect numbers?

Posted: 28 February 2008 10:35 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Also a photocopy of the EX 14 form…............has not your girlfriend been thru this!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 29 February 2008 06:04 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-02-27

So with this form (NIE) complete (with help from the Spanish girlfriend), a photo-copy of this form complete, my passport, a photocopy of said passport, two photos of passport size and I’m good to go? (NIE-wise)

As for “RESIDENCIA (EX16)” will I need to fill this out too?  I’m living in her house for nine months.  Should I be okay without filling in this form or is it better to have it done anyway?

I’m beginning to annoy myself with all these questions so all the help is gratefully appreciated. 😊