Traveling & Staying
Posted: 09 July 2006 08:56 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-07-09

Hi,

I have hopes to live and work in Spain, but I haven’t found a job over there yet.  I am from the USA/US citizen, I am wondering how long could I legally stay in Spain as a tourist? I want stay there for a while and search for jobs…Are there other solutions, such as residency visa, that I could apply for? And can I apply for a student visa if I want to take TEFL courses in Spain?
Your prompt reply and information is much appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Posted: 11 July 2006 03:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-01-12

I have hopes to live and work in Spain, but I haven?t found a job over there yet.  I am from the USA/US citizen, I am wondering how long could I legally stay in Spain as a tourist? I want stay there for a while and search for jobs…Are there other solutions, such as residency visa, that I could apply for? And can I apply for a student visa if I want to take TEFL courses in Spain?
Your prompt reply and information is much appreciated.

hi marvasee,
as a US citizen, you can stay for 3 months on a regular tourist visa (it’s just your passport). when I was teaching in Spain, I stayed for 20 months and left the country a few times without problems entering and exiting. many people stay in spain without the proper visas and documents and on a day to day basis it’s not a problem.

the easiest way would be to get a student visa but you have to get that in the states and be enrolled in a program in Spain (but a TEFL course would not suffice, mostly because it’s not long enough only being a month long course at the most). I’m speaking more along the lines of enrolling yourself in a Spanish university or a continuing education program or something. if you have a student visa, I believe you can work up to 15-20 hours/week while in Spain. I had a friend who was doing this; she enrolled in a year long course and got her student visa, then once she was here she cancelled her enrollment, getting her tuition back, and stayed for the year working as a teacher. that might not always work for everyone or every course though!

you pretty much need someone to sponsor you for a work permit.

I hope that’s helpful, good luck!

Posted: 11 July 2006 03:54 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Also be sure to check out our articles about: General visas and student visas in Spain, Work Visas for Spain and TEFL courses in Spain

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 11 July 2006 03:58 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-07-11

It’s notoriously difficult for a non-E.U. citizen to get working papers in Spain. However, MANY Americans overstay their visas and teach and I have yet to hear of anyone having a problem. If you decide to do a certificate in Spain ask the school what kind of help you’ll get with finding a job. The good certificate providers have contacts with local language academies and should be able to give you some solid leads once you finish.
Good luck!

Signature 

Melissa
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
http://www.spaintesol.com

Posted: 03 November 2006 02:16 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-11-03

Good to know things are a little loose re visas and american expats. I have been in Argentina for the past year where visa regs are very loose, and was afraid things would be tighter when I move to Barcelona in about a month. It sounds like I can bump around to other countries prior to the 90 day expiration, and meet the expectations. If there are any problems with my plan I hope someone would post about it. If I end up staying in Spain for a longer period of time I think I’ll go for the self employed visa. This is my first post and I am very glad to know this site exists !

John

‹‹ Need Visa Help      P60 Accountants ››