Married American Couple Moving to Spain!
Posted: 08 November 2006 08:37 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2006-07-25

Hi all . . . Today my wife and I went with many documents to the Spanish Consulate in London.  It was interesting to say the least.  While we had enough for them to get started, we did not have all of the required documentation, and now we have two weeks to return with all of the remaining documents or forfeit the admin cost.  The one that has us stumped is the health certificate. 

We did go to a surgery here in London (NHS) and being that we have no real medical history (because we have only lived in the UK for one year) all he was able to do is write us a letter saying that after having a conversation with us, and making a professional observation, the patients do not have any symptoms of Cholera, Yellow Fever, of the Plague.  Also the same for mental illness and drug use. 

The Spanish consulate did not accept this letter.  On the one hand I can understand why (not a very thorough or telling examination), but on the other hand, what can we do?  NHS will not just test us for these illnesses.  We got a big lecture from the doctor about how health care in the UK is so much different from that in the US.  Ok, fine, but how can we prove these things?  We will probably have to pay a private clinic or hospital.  And what about mental illness or drug use?  Perhaps a urine sample will work for a drug test, but for mental illness? 

Your prompt reply will be most useful as we have two weeks!  Is that even enough time for these tests to occur?
Thanks

p.s. our letters from the consulate say:

“A health certificate (original and 2 photocopies) issued by a doctor, stating that the applicant does not suffer from any contagious or infectious diseases, mental disorders or drug addiction.”

why is the info here contain stuff dealing with Cholera, Plague, Yellow fever?  Sorry, perhaps this should be in another forum . . .

Posted: 11 November 2006 08:39 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi wisof,

Maybe it’s too early in the morning here, but I’m having a difficult time understanding what you’re asking me about, or rather, what I can do to help.

If the letter says
?A health certificate (original and 2 photocopies) issued by a doctor, stating that the applicant does not suffer from any contagious or infectious diseases, mental disorders or drug addiction.?

Then that’s what you do. What did you go to a surgeon in London? Go to a doctor, a general practitioner would be best. It might take longer than 2 weeks to do so, but that’s the way the system works.

Why do you only have two weeks by the way?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

‹‹ Is it possible...      Car import from USA ››