A London fella here, asking for your advice ... thank’s in advance!
Posted: 23 November 2006 07:03 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-11-23

Hello, or hola!

Just wanted a bit of advice really, hope you might be able to help me to make up my mind ...

Basically I’m 33 and I have wanted to live in Spain for as long as I can remember. I have just “never got round to it”. One of them ones, I’m sure you’ve heard it before!

I’ve visited Spain many times, and I love the place. My childhood friend was/is half Spanish and he and his family sold up and moved out to the Costa Del Sol about 18 years ago.

If I did decide to take the plunge, I would be ready to make in the move in February. I just don’t know where to start??

I’m not a home owner or anything like that, so I won’t have bundles of money. All I’ll have is the money from the sale of my car, and any other little bits & pieces of mine which I will be able to sell. In other words, I’d want to find work asap on arrival.

I would probably book at cheap 2 week last minute deal to the place of my choice, which would ensure I had somewhere to stay for two weeks while I looked for a job and a place to live. Is it hard finding a job and accommodation??

Talking of accommodation, I am a very clean living person and do not like the idea of “roughing it” - what are my options??

Anyway, I hope I might be able to get some advice from you lovely people on here! Maybe someone who asked the same questions that I am now asking, and have successfully taken that “big step”.

Thank you in advance for any advice/information ...

Posted: 23 November 2006 07:27 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey Cockney,

I wasn’t in exactly the same situation when I first came here (I’d never been to Spain and knew nothing about it) but I didn’t like roughing it either, nor did I have much money. In the end it was a decision I’ll never regret. Spain is really awesome (but you already know that).

I think we have the perfect article for you, well, close anyway.  Check out the moving to Spain Checklist.

Definitely start looking at where you’re going to live. Along with that you might start your job search. Check out the jobs page here for links to employment agencies if that’s your thing. Maybe you want to start teaching English. Lots of possibilities. You may have to move to where the work is though, so look at jobs first.

Oh and don’t forget that Spanish course. It’ll be important!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 23 November 2006 10:11 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-11-23

Muchas gracias!

Thank’s a million for taking the time to reply.

I have actually taken a few evening classes in Spanish, I speak an absolute bare minimum. I do understand that the Spanish appreciate it when a “foreigner” bothers to learn some of their language, as do I when I interact with “foreigners” over here in London. It’s simply a matter of common courtesy. However I also understand that the best way to learn a language is to live in the country where it is used on a daily basis.

Where to go?? Well I liked Benidorm when I went there, although it really is quite small and I might feel a bit claustrophobic after a little while? I didn’t really rate Tenerife, but I actually travelled on my own on that occasion and hearing that Veronica’s Strip is a bit of a naughty place I decided to give that a swerve so the holiday on a whole was faily quiet. I loved Mallorca, we stayed at the Cala Binas which is like a 5 minute drive from Magaluf (if that) so we had the best of both worlds. We could enjoy the nighlife and “madness”, but with the advantage of being able to retreat to a nice little plot at the end of the night. Anyway ...

I’ve been thinking of maybe one of the Canaries, for the simple reason that they are hot all year round so much more chance of finding work all year round. As opposed to say Benidorm etc which is only seasonal ... if I make the move I want it to be for good, not just 6 months and then back to nothing. Know what I mean? Anyway, if you or anyone else can advise on this I’d be double greatful.

Like you, I really could not slum it. I have been thinking that the best option would be to find a little studio flat/apartment?? I wouldn’t like to share either you see so I have to take this all into consideration before/if I do take the big plunge!

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you from?? What kind of work do you do in the land of the Sol and where abouts in Spain are you?? I’d be intrigued to know how you have ended up, seeing as you had never even been to Spain before you made the move. Well done to you by the way, 10/10 for spirit!

I’ll leave it there and I look forward to further replies.

Hasta la vista ...

PS workwise, a pal of mine has just taken over a pub and he’s going to teach me the trade & give me some work experience etc so I’d be interested in doing a bit of bar work. Also it would be a good way to meet people out there.

Posted: 23 November 2006 10:36 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Well, I’m from Canada and live in Barcelona, and do several things for work.

Mallorca is supposed to be awesome, although full of Germans, so it’s not very Spanish as I hear.

Speaking the language is much more than a courtesy you’ll find, it’s quite necessary to really enjoy life here. Having Spanish friends is something you can’t do without IMHO, speaking Spanish is one of the greatest rewards of life here.

You might be able to find bar work in some of the resort-esque areas, but I haven’t seen a lot of non-Spaniards working in bars other than in pubs, which isn’t great money by any means. Tips aren’t really done in Spain and even in pubs they’re pretty small compared to back home. Spaniards can work in bars because they usually live at home and so have less expenses than we do. Living on your own can get expensive and you’ll need a lot of cash for deposits and aval bancarios (up to 6 months rent) etc. Roommates aren’t a bad option at the beginning and you might meet some great people.

I haven’t been to the Canaries yet, but definitely want to check it out.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 24 November 2006 04:16 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-11-23

I fully understand you saying that speaking the language is more than courtesy, and taking the time to improve on what I already know will definitely be in my artinery of “things to do” before I go!

By the way ... Barcelona is meant to be lovely, but really quite expensive?? I had planned on going to the Costa Brava a couple of years back, to stay in Llorett Del Mar. I intended to visit Barcelona at the same time as it’s only about an hours drive there from Llorett Del Mar. Never got round to it though ( ... that old chestnut again!).

You’ve burst my bubble a little bit ... I thought I’d move out to Spain, get a little studio apartment and a nice little bar job and live a pucker life in the sun! Are you saying it’s not going to be like that? You say you rarely see non Spaniards working in bars, but most of the people who I have seen working in bars while in Spain have been Brits?? Maybe it’s different in Barcelona ...

Intrigue me if you will ... what is it you do for work out there??

Posted: 29 November 2006 03:45 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Cockney,
Well work is nothing special, but developing websites and helping out on here is a big part of what I do.

Hmm, went to lloret de mar last year. Not impressed. Depends on what you’re looking for of course. It’s a cheap touristy party town IMHO. But I love the culture of Spain/Catalunya, not really into touristy things like resorts and pubbing, that’s my taste though.

Yeah, again, just in my opinion, but it might be tough to find a decent paying bar gig. Possible though!

Good luck dude!

Signature 

‹‹ Hi I am Vilma      Hello Everyone ››