Does a US Citizen Born in Spain Qualify for Spanish Citizenship?
Posted: 27 November 2006 04:35 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-11-27

Thanks for taking the time to read my message. I am not sure if this will help anyone else or if anyone before has inquired about the same topic.

As to my question, here are my particulars:

I was born in Spain in 1979 and was raised thier for three years.
My parents were and are both US citizens.
Niether parent is of Spanish origin.
I have not returned to spain since 1983 (when I first left)

I believe that there is no right of birth for indiviuals born in Spain (of other nationalities), however, I saw a recent post that referenced that citizenship could be acquired after one year (for children I assume). However, does the fact that I was born a spain and resided there for three years have a positive effect on an application for citizenship? Also, if anyone has particulars of where to do more research or a quick answer, it would be appreciated.

Ohh, I was thinking abouth moving to Spain for about two years and would not mind the advantages (and disadvantages) of being a dual US/Spainish citizen.

Thanks,
Dave

Posted: 29 November 2006 03:52 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Dave,

FYI, legally you’re not allowed to hold dual citizenship between the US and Spain. Still, some people manage to do so anyway by just not telling the other country 😉.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.