Help moving to spain soon and need help on starting a mobile hairdresser up.
Posted: 15 July 2008 11:42 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-07-15

Hey everyone, me and my boyfriend well husband to be and moving to spain in the next month as he has been offered a job and its better money so we are going. im a mobile hairdresser from leeds and dont really know what i need to do 2 get going in spain. please can somebody give me some help on how to set a business up over there and what else i need to do. thanks

Posted: 15 July 2008 05:12 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

You`ll need the help of a Gestor in setting yourself as Autonomo, they`ll deal with all the legal stuff and advice.

Gestor doesn`t really excist in the UK, there similar to an acountant come lawyer.

Most cost around 25.00 Euro`s amonth, they sort out your tax etc etc.

Then dependant on your area, depends on how well you do.

If your Costa Del Sol/Costa Blanca area, I`d look at another type of job, there are hundreds of Brits doin it.

There are even brit beauty schools training to NVQ`s in Fuengirola.

Marbella is full of mobile and static, doin everything you can imagine.

Give you some idea I googled mobile hairdressers in Fuengirola, one directory sites listed 38 businesses.

Give you an idea here

http://costadelsol.angloinfo.com/af/564/costa-del-sol-hair-and-beauty-mijas-costa.html

Its similar to to Construction and general building work, the markets full of Expats from those trades.

Location is very important, you need to find an area with enough Brits to survive on, but not enough to attract competition.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 15 July 2008 06:49 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-07-15

thanks thats really helped me loads.

Posted: 15 July 2008 11:17 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

A couple other helpful links:
Being autonomo in Spain

What’s a gestor

Starting a business in Spain

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 15 July 2008 11:43 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-05-05

Hi

Dont know where you are planning to move to but obviously as previous poster there are a number of hairdressers around, of course new competition is always healthy and keeps the current ones on their toes.

There seems to be a number of Academys opening up, one has just been announced in our area (costa calida) might be an idea to try to get in with them as maybe a trainer and start your business on the side.

Just a thought.

Posted: 16 July 2008 11:44 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-07-15

thanks santi but i have just looked on that website with all the hair and beauty and not one hairdresser is anywhere near where im moving to so i think ill be ok and thanks everyone else for all the info you have sent me. x

Posted: 22 July 2008 10:53 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-04-16
lilmissibs1984 - 15 July 2008 11:42 AM

Hey everyone, me and my boyfriend well husband to be and moving to spain in the next month as he has been offered a job and its better money so we are going. im a mobile hairdresser from leeds and dont really know what i need to do 2 get going in spain. please can somebody give me some help on how to set a business up over there and what else i need to do. thanks

Keep your money. There are so many people doing this that they have now set up on local markets cutting and dyeing hair. If you are that good then it will take you a bit of time to set up a client base as you know.

Perhaps you could contact some of the clubs like Bowling clubs and British Legion etc and do a hair party at discounted rates.

Money is tight for everyone at the moment and every one is looking for ways to save a bit.

Good Luck.

ps what part of Spain are you going to???

Don’t bother doing nails. There have been too many women conned by these so called learning nails etc. Too expensive for most people.

Pedicure. Lots of old people want their feet done

Massage and reflexology etc. This is big business.