Santiago de Compostela
Posted: 12 July 2006 10:13 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-02-27

Hi there.  I’m going to be attending USC in Santiago de Compostela and I just had a few questions.  I realize that they don’t all fit in this forum, but I would appreciate any feedback.  I also realize that these questions are answered (generally) on this website, but I was wondering if anyone could answer them specifically for Santiago.  Ok, so here it goes:

How much should I look at spending if I want to rent a room in a flat etc.?
What would be the best idea regarding health insurance?
What would be a good way to make money while attending school full-time?  How many hours would be practical?
I won’t have a student visa, so how should I handle that at customs?  Just say that I’m visiting?  Would this pose a problem if I were to leave and come back after the 3 month period is up?  Can I get a student visa while I’m living in Spain?  ie I’m planning on going to Naples to visit a friend for the new year.

I know I’ve asked a lot, but please answer me if you can.  Thank you!

Posted: 16 July 2006 04:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Since some of your questions are general enough for me to answer without having been there myself, let’s see:

What would be the best idea regarding health insurance?

See health insurance info on Spain Expat

What would be a good way to make money while attending school full-time?  How many hours would be practical?

Um, in a bar? Teaching English? Depends on what kind of student you are right?

I won?t have a student visa, so how should I handle that at customs?

Your school hasn’t taken care of this for you? This should be done, you really ought to look into this. Going from Spain to Italy won’t help one bit since you’d still be in the Schengen states; you wouldn’t get a stamp in your passport. Technically you’re not allowed to spend more than your 90 days in Spain in 1 year and not more than 6 months in the entire EU in a year’s time. Check out some of the threads in the teaching forums, and definitely our Visa page for Spain for info about student visas and other options.

Good luck

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 25 July 2006 07:59 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-02-27

thank you so much for the reply.  i actually wasn’t asking if going to italy would renew my tourist status, but rather was wondering if i would have problems re-entering spain if i didn’t have a student visa (if i had already been in spain for over 3 months with just a tourist visa).  i’m working on the visa process, but am having problems getting responses from my school.  i know it can take like 3-4 months to get a visa, right?  and is it a must to go pick up the student visa in person?  also, should i renew my passport if it is due to expire in 2 years (and i might want to stay in europe for longer than 2 years)?  would i have to return to the states to renew my passport?  thank you so much for your help!  😊

Posted: 25 July 2006 08:32 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2006-06-21

You won’t have any problems getting back to Spain from Italy because there aren’t any passport controls between the Schengen states.

Keep trying on the visa from your school. It should be their obligation to help you get the needed papers. You’ve seen the list of documents you need for a student visa right? You will, in fact, need to pick it up in person I’m afraid.

You should definitely renew your passport now to avoid having to use your embassy’s emergency passport services (which would look REALLY bad if you’d overstayed your visa at that point…)

I hope you come back to let us know your progress on this as it happens!

Posted: 25 July 2006 08:47 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-02-27

thanks a lot!  i received a letter of acceptance, so i’m trying to get my student visa through chicago, which sucks because i have to drive down there in person to get it (i live in madison, wisconsin.  i guess it could be worse!).  i’ll write back and let everyone knows how it went.  thanks, again:)