GFI electrical outlets in Spain?
Posted: 14 July 2006 07:29 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-07-14

We’re thinking of moving to Malaga, Marbella or Fuengirola for about a year, but we have a 1-year-old and a three-year-old. Both boys and both quite curious. 😊
During a recent house-hunting trip to Spain, we noticed there were no GFI protected outlets. Has anyone seen them? Any idea if you can retro-fit a house with GFI or if it’s unheard of? Definitely don’t want the boys sticking a knife in a 220 outlet!
Thanks!
-Megan

Posted: 28 July 2006 10:18 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Megan,

Honestly, I’ve never heard of GFI. That being said, a couple things you should be aware of I guess.

First is that the outlets here are circular and narrower, so you can’t get a knife or a fork in there. Maybe a shishkebob skewer, but I’d be worried about the skewer poking out an eyeball first 😉...

Second is that, in general, Spain doesn’t have many safety features on anything. Dangers lurk everywhere if you’re looking for them and it seems like the attitude is very much, “life is a risk, let’s not waste it worrying about the little things”. So you won’t find smoke detectors in your house or child-proof balconies, and I’ve been stuck in elevators that mustn’t have seen a repairman or inspector in a decade (in fact one of them is in my own building. Reassuringly, they’ve installed two giant springs on the ground floor, in case…?). Life is just, well, more raw here, but people learn to use common sense instead of relying on bureaucraticly induced safety features. I’m sure your kids will too!

In a pinch you might be able to find what you’re looking for at El Corte Ingles or in your local ferreteria (hardware/tool shop).

Welcome to Spain!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 28 July 2006 10:40 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-07-14

Thank you - that’s the info I was after. (We did notice that during our entire stay in Spain, we saw only two fussy kids - maybe us overly-cautious-about-our-kids Americans are doing them a disservice. 😊 We’re looking forward to finding out how a different culture parents!)
thanks again,
-Megan

Posted: 28 July 2006 10:47 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

You might talk to Rushmo, a member on here, I know he’s got kids, he’s an American, and has a lot of good perspective on the cultural differences…

Ciao!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 12 August 2007 11:34 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-08-12

This type of socket is not called GFI in Europe but could be called either ELCB or RCD

The normal system in Europe is to protect the whole house not individual sockets, most newer property will be fitted with one as the main switch for the whole house.

Hope this helps.

John

Posted: 13 August 2007 03:02 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes I agree with the scubkid - all new properties have this type of electrical protection which covers the whole house. The whole area of electric installation is in fact high regulated in Spain. The electrical companies have to be legally registered with the regional authorities and then they have to issue a certificate guarateeing compliance to latest regulations. Without the certificate you cannot be connected to the grid. In my opinion it is all taken much more seriously than the UK for example.

Also I cannot agree with the comments re lifts. Again this is a highly regulated area. I have first hand experience having recently moved our offices into a new block and we had to wait for the lift until it was equipped with an emergency phone before it was operational. The lift man carries out monthly checks or responds to any maintenance alarms generated by the lift control computer (it even talks!) I am sure this regime will also apply in older blocks - the greater Health and Safety within Spain is driven by the insurance companies(as it was in the UK) and the government are offering incentives for greater H and S awareness and compliance.

You are safer than you think - but I do agree the culture is much more based on take care of yourself and use common sense ie if you see a wet slippy freshly mopped floor be careful! Dont always expect a sign to tell you to be careful!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 14 August 2007 07:54 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

By the most amazing and unfortunate for the victim coincidence I have just today read in the local paper of a teenager (as against an inquisitive youngster) electrocuting herself in an old house (in Spain) without an up todate interruptor system fitted. This cannot happen in a new house where the installation will be fitted with safety systems.

Perhaps anyone buying old property should make an electrical upgrade one of their priorities - use a competent Spanish electrician!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

‹‹ Santiago de Compostela      Water quality? ››