JAMAICAN IN SPAIN
Posted: 15 June 2008 12:38 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-06-14

Hey everyone! Ive gone through all most most articles and forums on this site before to make sure there wasnt something similar.
I realise that most of you are either from the US, UK or Canada but hopefully you can advise me.

Im moving from Jamaica to Madrid to be with my boyfriend (spanish) who is already there. I want to teach English while Im there. Ive read from this very helpful site that I can do the course there, but certain things arent really clear/ plain to me.

1) As a Jcan, what are the recommended steps I should take to try to guarantee success with jobs and legality before/after Im there? Ive already read the helpful articles on this site, but i think most of you speak from the vantage point of being American or British. Is it best if I first travel by tourist visa and do the TEFL course and see my options after?

2) After the course and hopefully a job offer, what next? work permit? applying to be a resident?  Im so confused because my options seem limited and few. (Kindly dont mention marriage, as thats something I would like to flow from the heart, not be pressured by this situation)  Does Spain offer a fiance visa?

3)What can my boyfriend start doing from now before I arrive to make the transition faster and easier. Hes willing to do anything, really but hasnt a clue as to where to start. Neither do I.

4)I see that someone asked a variation of this question before, but to no avail…  What, in your opinions, is the general attitude towards other races, especially towards black people. Lemme be straight. Ive heard the stereotypes of African women being prostitutes and alot of illegal people using up resources etc etc… but have you personally seen or heard of dangerously negative attitudes towards black people?

Thanks in advance!

Natalie.

Posted: 16 June 2008 04:29 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2007-12-02

Hi Natalie,

I live in Madrid. I can try to partially answer some of your answers.

1. There is a school call Pueblo Ingles that do not require TEFL - you take their own course and then teach using their method. That would get to up and running quickly and perhaps give you a chance to take the TEFL on the side at the same to time to get private students.

4. I don’t know if it is a stereotype that African women are prostitutes - yes there are some in Madrid but there are also Russians, Romanians, Bulgarians, Latinos etc.. I am of Indian origin and hence have dark skin but I am very tall and hence not mistaken to be Latino, I don’t know where people think I am from when they see me and don’t really care, i have not experienced any racism (to my face anyway) and have only good experience with all the interactions i have had with Spanish people since moving here 3 years ago. I am still not fluent in Spanish but people are very patient and if they speak some English will try to use it to help out.

I hope someone is able to help with question 2 and 3 - i am British so have no legal problems being here.

Good luck and keep in touch - perhaps we can meet up when you’re here!

Ranpal

Signature 

In it for the long haul
http://www.hot-villa.com

Posted: 16 June 2008 09:07 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Ranpal: I’m glad to hear you haven’t faced any overt racism. I’m a bit surprised (as even I as a caucasion feel a touch of it at times - “guiri” etc.).

Natalie: Tough situation. Indeed there’s a lot of feelings about black people as unwelcome intruders. A lot of black people are illegally working on farms as agro workers, but I’d imagine that’s not the ideal situation for you, to say the least.

2. After the course then you’ll likely have to find private classes. This could prove even more difficult as the Jamaican accent is difficult to understand (although clearly you write well so perhaps it’s not an issue). There are certainly no steps you can take to guarantee anything. Your best bet may well be to register as autonomo and sponsor yourself although I recently heard that that opportunity is quickly closing.

3. I agree, marry your heart for love. But you may have to marry legally to give your heart the chance.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 16 June 2008 10:59 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-06-14

Thank you both for your helpful advice!

Ranpal, I hope my experience will be similar to yours, or ill be sheltered enough not to have bad experiences. Hehe…

In the back of my head, I know it may happen, but I have a lot of experience with Spanish people here as I work with many… The egos, the ignorance is just something you learn to ignore or overcome after a while and realise how you feel about yourself and carry yourself will affect how others treat you.

Umm… About my jcan accent… In school, we learn Oxford English here as our main language, but we also have our own dialect which people use a lot… And its a shame to say some ppl don’t know the difference. I have to say though that most educated people can distinguish between the two.

I kinda think I’m at an advantage. I’ve learnt English from England because we are in close proximity, our culture is highly influenced by American culture.
I think also Caribbean accents that are not as thick (such as antiguan, Jamaican and st. Vincentian) are best to learn as the students don’t end up learning a warped version of American or brutish English,  trying to mimick them…

Anywho, anymore advice would be well appreciated and I’m very grateful for what I’ve recieved so far.

Posted: 17 June 2008 12:28 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-03-17

hi nathalie

my husband is jamaican. we move to the south of barcelona in a litlle village a month ago and so far so good. people have been just amazing to us and he has not experience any racisism at all so far.
For the rest I won’t be any help because I’m a french citizen so it’s more easy for him to get the paper to leave here

well I hope you make the move and come and enjoy the spanish life. we move from the US and it was the best decision ever

good luck
sylvie

Posted: 10 August 2008 08:42 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-08-10

I think a site for teachers of English will have many more members with information on how you might fare. There are problems for non EU citizens so perhaps check around.