How do I “prove availability of housing” for my visa app?
Posted: 05 February 2007 08:25 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-08-28

I’m a US Citizen applying for a Visa to live in Spain for a year, and of the the requirements is to provide “proof of availability of housing.”  I can’t seem to get any answers on exactly what they accept as “proof”...

Is it sufficient to print listings off the Internet to show I have options?  Do I have to sign a contract with an agency?  Do I actually have to have a place rented before I can apply??  Any clarity would be greatly appreciated!

Signature 

Karie
http://www.karieandscott.com

Posted: 21 February 2007 03:54 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-02-14

I had heard same situation re housing prior to applying.  one person at spanish consulate in australia made that statement, was put through to a 2nd person and that was not even mentioned.  Only told things like passport photos, medical, police and availability of funds to sustain me.  they forwarded the visa so i can fill out and return.    I felt it would be difficult to have a “rental property / or purchased property” BEFORE an acceptance or deny was even issued.  At times it seems we never get the same answers to some of these very basic questions. - LucyLoo -

Posted: 26 February 2007 07:01 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-08-28

Thanks LucyLoo - I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one that is confused about this!
So did they accept your application without it, or are you still waiting to find out?

Signature 

Karie
http://www.karieandscott.com

Posted: 26 February 2007 03:49 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-02-14

hi I still not got any positive info re this issue.  I cannot see how they can request that information when the processing of such can take anything from 3 - 6 months, and expect anyone to be paying rent etc on a property, you are not able to live in at this time.  Plus its possible we could get a negative answer to this residency, so that would be totally a waste of money.  Im just going to submit all the other appropiate paperwork they require and pray.  LOL   My other query is the medical insurance.  I have been unable to find company here who would cover me in spain as a resident.  So im going to have travel and medical insurance which will cover me for say 3 months plus, then if accepted i will get medical insurance in spain.    i just hope this is sufficient.  good luck 2u also - lucyloo -

Posted: 26 February 2007 10:33 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Lucyloo, did you try Global Health See the medical insurance page, lots of suggestions there. Remember you don’t necessarily need to get insurance since Spain has free health care.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

‹‹ NIE Number      student visa renewal... help! ››