2 of 3
Life Without Television -
Posted: 09 February 2010 06:26 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
foxbat - 23 January 2010 12:25 AM

Has anyone else noticed just how much thiswhole forum has been inundated with spammers lately….?

Foxbat - Long time no repertoires !!!
I know what you mean, It’s like reading a Script from “Crossroads Motel”
OMG - TV !?!

DSB.

Posted: 09 February 2010 06:31 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
mike_walsh - 09 February 2010 03:46 PM

I trawled Pravda for news items and received a lot of Russian spam; it has dwindled now though.

Note to self - Don’t trawl “Pravda” (?)
DSB.

Posted: 22 June 2010 07:27 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-06-17

As far as my personal experience with tv is concerned, I have gotten along without one for the last 4 years and didn’t really miss it. Just for watching the news or anything of the kind it would have been quite useful. Now, I purchased one and have been noticing that I barely even use it since I have gotten used to not having one. I don’t even really need it and do not watch it conciently, just while doing something else and to feel accompanied. But I am of the opinion that being surrounded by real people is so much better.

Posted: 22 June 2010 09:24 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

Bealer… if you’re looking for television shows, then http://www.cucirca.com and www.letmewatchthis.com aren’t bad places to look. Don’t know if I’m allowed to post those links or not though 😉

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 22 June 2010 09:30 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
heath1974 - 22 June 2010 09:24 PM

Bealer… if you’re looking for television shows, then http://www.cucirca.com and www.letmewatchthis.com aren’t bad places to look. Don’t know if I’m allowed to post those links or not though 😉

Thanks Heath.
DSB.

Posted: 22 June 2010 09:58 PM   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

will you can posts the links but frist time posters cant post links that spam ... there be removed , just fill in on few this sites , where fine in court and told two closed down and then the comuster are now bwwn followed aswell for braking the law aswell . See what going to happen . get a dish its your and it for life

Jurdy

Posted: 07 July 2010 12:58 AM   [ # 22 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2010-07-05

the only thing I watch on tv is the hockey games during our LONG winters here in Canada…and those I can stream online so I doubt a tv would be needed at all….would much rather be sitting outside having a cold one and talking up the locals! I ain’t moving somewhere just to sit inside and watch tv!! LOL

Signature 

no more snow…let’s all say it together now…NO MORE SNOW!

Posted: 08 January 2011 09:41 AM   [ # 23 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
henrypinto11 - 08 January 2011 09:32 AM

Now a days there are so many areas for entertainment but Television is the best thing for entertainment. Without TV anybody can not move in the world. In teenage, the main effects of TV are knowledge, news, TV shows and many more. Life without TV becomes boring.

Disagree totally.

What is TV ?
TV is a device to watch Television Programmes, and that used to be the only choice.
Nowadays “TV” broadcast, aside from the BBC etc, are taken up by 1-2/3rds of ADVERTS.

TV is nothing more than a loss leader.

Internet TV however, alows you to watch what you want when you want without adverts.
( Aside from torrents of course )
Aside from that there is actual “finger interaction” with the Childrens learning Sites, fantastic.
In closing, why do you think “TV” now have box’s for Google / Ytube and or firmware within for “surfing” ?

Because they are seeing the migration from “TV” to internet on-line demand.
In essence, TV Station online services have almost been their worst enemy by effecting their “TV” subscribers.

Love TV, hate adverts, Need Internet.
( P.S: Computers had higher Definition before “TV” )
DSB.

Posted: 08 January 2011 07:58 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

bealer Hi…

Henrys post deleted as SPAM.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 08 January 2011 08:08 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
foxbat - 08 January 2011 07:58 PM

bealer Hi…

Henrys post deleted as SPAM.

fb

Sigh…...........
DSB.
( thanks for the update though )

Posted: 04 May 2011 04:46 AM   [ # 26 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2011-04-27
mike_walsh - 19 November 2009 04:05 AM

I am not being judgemental; each to their own but I haven’t had a television for years. Yet my life is full and I couldn’t be more contented. I don’t miss it at all. As a matter of fact it would cause me a dilemma if I ‘pulled’ as I would not only then be sharing my life with a lady; I would be sharing it with a television. I am not so sure about the latter.

Does anyone else have views for or against? Perhaps thinking of pulling the plug out permanently? I do use the set I have to watch DVDs and play CDs but it just isn’t hooked up to receive television. I cannot imagine myself ever owning a television again.

I have a television on my house since last 20 years and now I see the many programs regularly there also I have a internet connection with whom I updated with the latest news.

Posted: 04 May 2011 05:04 AM   [ # 27 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-05-04

I feel like tv is useless too, but I absolutely love HBO/Showtime shows. They are like movies or amazing Novellas. They have expensive productions and well-thought out plots, amazing set designs, just as you see in an expensive movie. I have always preferred movies to tv and most of my friends are the same as me….no tv but the occasional “novella”/HBO show.

When my European friends moved to the US they were hooked.

😊 Brenna in California

Posted: 16 May 2011 02:33 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

These days I’m simply finding that if there’s anything worth watching, I can usually watch it “on demand” via the internet.

Being a bit of a science fiction fan, I watched both series of the V remake online, only to discover the other day, that there won’t be a third series as it’s been cancelled by ABC.

Obviously it wasn’t hitting their required audience figures (and thus, advertising revenue), but what does surprise me in this day and age, is why many of these networks don’t show some of these programmes online and try to generate an additional audience there. Surely they realise that the viewing potential and advertising revenue benefits are far greater?

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 26 May 2011 11:09 PM   [ # 29 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Life without television has to be redefined in the modern age where we can watch television shows without the need for a cable connection subscription and TV box. So, what’s the definition for this thread on life without TV? We obviously all have computers, so we’re able to get access to some shows - even someone who says they don’t have a TV can’t say they don’t watch some motion video made by a television studio on occasion. It’s impossible to avoid (unless your comp is 8 years old!).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 26 May 2011 11:30 PM   [ # 30 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Doubt it can handle a new browser and the latest javascript/Flash heavy streaming technologies… but I digress, it’s not the point.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3