Moving to Spain to Teach English
Posted: 02 March 2007 10:31 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-03-02

I am moving with my friend (a Spanish citizen)to Madrid this summer. I have been offered a job to teach English. However, I am a US citizen and have no documentation. My friend says it’s not a big deal and that he’ll marry me if I wanted to stay long term. What sort of advice can you give? What difficulties might I have first-off?
Many thanks!

Posted: 24 April 2007 05:39 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-12-12

Do not work without any papers consecuences coul;d be deportation and a period in the “Shade”, marrige takes 6 months…do not do, please! contact a legal counsel.

Posted: 24 April 2007 08:16 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Armando is right, there are some risks to staying without a visa, and doubly right in that with the right legal counsel most people can figure out a way into the system legally.

On the other hand there are plenty of people who stay/work/live in Spain without a visa. Consider that there are 10 times more illegal immigrants coming in from Morroco, Ecuador and places like that who are all trying to work. If you’re white and carry a western passport then, most of the time, you look like a tourist and can relax… that is unless your “employer” fucks up and the Guardia comes in to investigate…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 24 April 2007 09:18 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-12-12

Man, I have never seen such a good explanation of reality!!! People working without papers are really exposed to slavery!!! Your comment about employers is just great.

Posted: 03 May 2007 03:53 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-02-13

Gee…Armando…should I contact a lawyer?  Is that your angle?  Come on now…  Spain is crawling with Moroccans & “Sub-Saharan” Africans and you don’t see them being deported.  Spain isn’t doing jack to control it’s immigration.  Since your a lawyer, you should know that well.  I wouldn’t even call what you do spamming, it’s more like cyber-terrorism. Armando Bin Laden, Esq.  is that accurate?

Posted: 03 May 2007 05:35 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
treeeen - 03 May 2007 03:53 AM

I wouldn’t even call what you do spamming, it’s more like cyber-terrorism. Armando Bin Laden, Esq.  is that accurate?

Ooooo, ZING!

A little below the belt though, that’s bordering on xenophobia, and two wrongs don’t make a right. 😉

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 03 May 2007 10:46 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-04-26

I like your sense of humor!!! I agree, but still, better be legal anywhere? and by the way, I am not an Attorney but I work for about 20 of them. Anyways marrige takes to long and you have a lot of “Red Tape” . This young lady could get a “Fiance Visa”? Dont’t you believe so?