chip reader for pets coming in from USA
Posted: 22 March 2007 08:58 AM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2007-03-15

Does anyone know if the chip reader that the authorities in Spain have read the chips that pets get in the USA?

Posted: 24 March 2007 01:26 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2006-04-14

Yes, but be careful. Banfield (in concert with PetSmart) offers two. One can be read by all national/international scanners; the other one only by Banfield. They won’t tell you unless you ask.

Even though you didn’t ask, here is my experience:

Tell your Vet you need an international microchip; and that your pet will be travelling overseas. You will need all your pet’s records for the previous 12 months, INCLUDING RABIES/KENNEL COUGH vaccines. You will need a Pet Certificate completed. Make sure your VET is authorized for international certificates, otherwise you will pay big bucks for nothing. This certificate is only valid within 30 days of arrival in Spain. Cost: $400.00 USD

You will need to take those records to a local USDA office and have an official seal put on them. I believe the cost for the certificate review is $50.00 or so. Keep all these records with you because you will need them immediately upon arrival in Madrid.

I found that continental airlines has the best pet friendly policy, but the costliest at $1,062.00 USD. Upon arrival in Madrid, you will need to go to the cargo area (obtain this info from Continental and download a map of the airport, ‘cause its a huge sucker!) , and pay their fee (60,00 Euros). Take that receipt and go to the Spanish import office (next to Correos (mail sort facility). There the Spanish Govt. Vet will review your paperwork and certify your pet). Then you take all of this to the counter in the same building, and pay the Aduana (customs tax) for your pet. Another 50 Euros. Then you take all of this accumulating paper work to the Cargo claims, and claim your pet. Note: THEY WILL NOT EVEN RELEASE YOUR DOG TO DO ITS BUSINESS UNTIL ALL THIS IS DONE. Another note: KEEP IN MIND THAT ALL GOVT OFFICES SHUT DOWN AT 2:00 PM, SO MAKE SURE YOUR ARRIVAL IS FOR THE AM!!!!

All told, I arrived at 8:45 am, found the cargo facility at 10:30 (got very lost), found Aduana and the Vet by 11:30, and didn’t get my dog until 1:15 pm. Poor thing was cooped up in a cage for close to 15 hours—made a huge mess as soon as I opened the kennel—good for her!

I can’t find the spanish website to send you the link, but it exists out there in cyberland. The link is extremely informative. IBERIA Airlines has taken a huge rap for loosing pets when unloading planes, and in a few cases has had to pay claims to the owners for negligence. Other Airlines offer pet shipping for $125 or so, but if it involves a connection in another country, your pet will need to go thru this there as well.

Signature 

What was I doing? Oh yeah, now I remember…

😊-

Posted: 24 March 2007 06:47 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2007-03-15

Thanks very much, looks like a lot of red tape etc. Appreciate the advice and tips.

Posted: 24 March 2007 08:52 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Wow Dennis, that was a really informative and (hopefully) helpful post. I’m looking at adding it to supplement some of our info on importing pets too. Thanks!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.