1 of 2
Teaching English without University Degree
Posted: 01 February 2011 01:50 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-02-01

Hello,

I am an American living in Madrid and I am contemplating taking a TEFL course and trying my hand at teaching English. I am completely legal with papers and all the requisites. My question is this: will I be able to find employment with language academies without the benefit of having a 4 year university degree? I DO HAVE a 2 year Associate of Arts degree, if that counts for anything. I find the prospect of teaching English very exciting, but I do not want to spend 1500 Euro on a TEFL course only to find that my job prospects are nonexistent.

Any feedback that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David

Posted: 02 February 2011 03:26 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2009-12-27
drunkenboat9 - 01 February 2011 01:50 AM

Hello,

I am an American living in Madrid and I am contemplating taking a TEFL course and trying my hand at teaching English. I am completely legal with papers and all the requisites. My question is this: will I be able to find employment with language academies without the benefit of having a 4 year university degree? I DO HAVE a 2 year Associate of Arts degree, if that counts for anything. I find the prospect of teaching English very exciting, but I do not want to spend 1500 Euro on a TEFL course only to find that my job prospects are nonexistent.

Any feedback that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David

First of all, Spain sucks, so get out! There’s so many awesome cities in the US. Why are you wasting time in freaking Madrid?!

now, on to your question, which nobody else bothered to answer. I also came from the US, although I’m an EU citizen. I took a TEFL course back in Cali and got it Apostille’d by the Secretary of State’s office and all that good legal stuff. I got to Madrid and nobody asked for it. Nobody. I even got hired by a private high school and they didn’t ask for it. My advice, don’t waste your money. Build up a work history teaching English classes privately or something and then send your CV to different companies. In my humble opinion TEFL courses are a joke. It’s all theory, no real practical instruction. That was my experience, anyway, and I paid $1100. Not even close to being worth it. If you have full working papers, why not try getting a job somewhere else? Your A.A. should count as Formaci?n Profesional, at least.

Anyway, that’s my two cents

Posted: 02 February 2011 05:18 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-11-08

First of all, Spain sucks, so get out! There’s so many awesome cities in the US. Why are you wasting time in freaking Madrid?!

Are you still living in Spain or have you taken your own advice?

Posted: 02 February 2011 06:11 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-27
ianmc - 02 February 2011 05:18 PM

i love that no one replied to this guy’s request for advice, but as soon as someone complains about Spain, then you have some input? Look, I don’t like Spain, okay? I had an opportunity to return to Europe from the US where I could not get my papers worked out, and I took it. Spain just happened to be a fellow friend’s destination anyway, so I tagged along in order to have someone experienced in traveling with me while I settle down in what is practically an alien world to me. I don’t like it here. Is that a crime or something? And yes, I am taking my own advice - I’m planning to move to London, which I *do* like, by summer. I didn’t see anything in the forum rules about having to like Madrid or Spain in order to be part of SpainExpat. There’s no reason to be rude or sarcastic.

Posted: 02 February 2011 06:22 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-08
GoldBabyShriek - 02 February 2011 06:11 PM

i love that no one replied to this guy’s request for advice, but as soon as someone complains about Spain, then you have some input? Look, I don’t like Spain, okay? I had an opportunity to return to Europe from the US where I could not get my papers worked out, and I took it. Spain just happened to be a fellow friend’s destination anyway, so I tagged along in order to have someone experienced in traveling with me while I settle down in what is practically an alien world to me. I don’t like it here. Is that a crime or something? And yes, I am taking my own advice - I’m planning to move to London, which I *do* like, by summer. I didn’t see anything in the forum rules about having to like Madrid or Spain in order to be part of SpainExpat. There’s no reason to be rude or sarcastic.

My question was in direct response to your own wording, ergo I can’t be accused of anything!

You seem to think that everybody on this forum has answers for any post that comes along. Did it ever occur to you that maybe no one could give the guy a proper answer to his query hence the lack of response or maybe there is enough already written about the subject and all that is required is to use the ‘search’ function - duh!

Judging by your Mr. Angry tone and crap attitude I can guess nobody wanted to be your pal and as such your time in Spain therefore sucks.

But unless you get your act together any destination you arrive at will always… SUCK!

Posted: 02 February 2011 10:47 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-27
ianmc - 02 February 2011 06:22 PM
GoldBabyShriek - 02 February 2011 06:11 PM

My question was in direct response to your own wording, ergo I can’t be accused of anything!

You seem to think that everybody on this forum has answers for any post that comes along. Did it ever occur to you that maybe no one could give the guy a proper answer to his query hence the lack of response or maybe there is enough already written about the subject and all that is required is to use the ‘search’ function - duh!

Judging by your Mr. Angry tone and crap attitude I can guess nobody wanted to be your pal and as such your time in Spain therefore sucks.

But unless you get your act together any destination you arrive at will always… SUCK!

wooow, you used the word “ergo”—in a sentence that made no sense—i guess i’ve just been verbally bitch-slapped! I sure learned my lesson. Uuum…eat me, k? =) Exactly what, according to you, did i accuse you of? is english even your first language? your whole post seems a bit discombobulated. i would recommend a grammar guidebook.

i can’t understand why what i like or don’t like bugs you so much. What’s your problem? You inserted yourself into a thread that you admit you have no contribution for just to express your indignation that *I* don’t like Madrid, like you built the city from the ground up yourself. Sure, *I’m* the one with a crap attitude, cuz i’m the one telling a perfect stranger on the internet that he needs to get his act together or every place he lives will always… SUCK! lol. Capitalized with an exclamation point & everything! What are you, 15? 16, tops?

We have a word for people like you in California: Janky. Stop being janky & get lost. And don’t waste your energy trying to conjure up a comprehensible reply to this. I’m not entertaining your ridiculous behavior any further.

Posted: 02 February 2011 10:49 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I’d agree with GoldBaby in that I too never had to show my certificate (paid 1200? for it) and experience is worth a lot more than the certificate in getting jobs. That said, my course was great; I met a ton of people (network is important!), got lots of practical experience, and learned a lot of important things about the English language. When you have a student ask you which modal verb to use between “must” “have to” and “should” you’ll know exactly which one and why. That’s the sign of a good teacher. If you don’t want to be a good teacher then please don’t teach.

As for GoldBaby’s dislike of Madrid and Spain and preference for London I can only say: you must be from some other world or really poor at Spanish because Spain still rocks and, well, London really sucks. I’d go into more details but prefer to leave it to a Brit to make that comparison more fairly (I’m Canadian).

Let the flame war begin!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 02 February 2011 11:00 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-08

We have a word for people like you in California: Janky. Stop being janky & get lost. And don’t waste your energy trying to conjure up a comprehensible reply to this. I’m not entertaining your ridiculous behavior any further.

LOL, You remind me of my sister - she was diagnosed as mildly schizophrenic.
Enjoy London, screamer….or should that be ‘shrieker’

Posted: 02 February 2011 11:13 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-27
The Expatriator - 02 February 2011 10:49 PM

As for GoldBaby’s dislike of Madrid and Spain and preference for London I can only say: you must be from some other world or really poor at Spanish because Spain still rocks and, well, London really sucks. I’d go into more details but prefer to leave it to a Brit to make that comparison more fairly (I’m Canadian).

Al contrario, tengo muy buen dominio del castellano. Desafortunadamente, castellano o ingl?s, Madrid me horroriza. A Londres, y ?lo m?s pronto posible! 😊

Posted: 02 February 2011 11:14 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
GoldBabyShriek - 02 February 2011 11:13 PM

Al contrario, tengo muy buen dominio del castellano. Desafortunadamente, castellano o ingl?s, Madrid me horroriza. A Londres, y ?lo m?s pronto posible! 😊

Okay, I’ll bite then: why London over Madrid?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 02 February 2011 11:57 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-27
The Expatriator - 02 February 2011 11:14 PM
GoldBabyShriek - 02 February 2011 11:13 PM

Okay, I’ll bite then: why London over Madrid?

okay ... Look, I don’t wanna be a deuce bag. I’m gonna say—hey, maybe a lot of people have come to Madrid and loved it! Perfectly plausible. Obviously, you’re one of them, and I’m totally happy for anyone who can come here and make it work and enjoy themselves. I have to say tho…I really can’t. I totally had another vision of what Madrid was gonna be like…just from what I’d read and researched and heard. And it was completely NOT that, at all. And i don’t wanna generalize either. Maybe other regions in Spain are better. But if i’m gonna be honest, being in Madrid is killing me.

People have been so rude since the first day. The concept of customer service does not even exist here. You walk into a restaurant and the waiter looks at you like you’re bugging him instead of paying him. Nobody smiles. Spanish people seem very clique-y. They also seem very ... “This is Madrid and I’m Madridian and I’ve never left Madrid but Madrid is the shit and I know this cuz I’m Madridian.” OK, there’s like one nice part, and that’s the center where they take all the tourists and make them believe that’s the real Spain.

I’m sure that coming here during the recession has also made an impact cuz I haven’t been able to find much work and I just look all the time and it’s sooo frustrating, and then to just walk into a store and have to coax someone into helping me because they don’t give a shit that their job IS to help customers…It just makes a bad day worse. I have literally stood in front of a counter for 10 minutes with the retail associate standing behind it talking on the phone and pretending i was invisible. That to me is outrageous. If she pulled that in the US not only would she get a sweet, sweet dose of reality from the customer, but she’d definitely get fired if it happened more than once.

I hate that businesses close in the middle of the day for no good reason, then open again at 4 or 5, then close again at 6 or 7. What the hell is that? How does this country actually function? People move at a turtle’s pace. If they can get outta helping you, they will. I feel like I stepped back in time. I almost fainted when i got here and realized that indoor smoking was allowed. Uhh…1950s much? And all the cigarette butts on the *FLOORS* of restaurants??? I wanted to barf. thank god it’s banned now. Buuut… Still, i want out.

I went to London back in October shortly after I’d gotten here—I loooved it. and having to come back to Madrid made me so depressed i actually stayed in bed for 2 days, getting up only to get some water or answer my phone and bitch and moan to my mom back home. I guess i’m just not cut out for the foreign country life… I need English, I need real customer service, i need a fast-paced world, i need smiles (without teeth that look like they’re being taken care of by 18th century dentists). I need to go to the grocery store and be able to buy a Snickers for less than $2 USD.

anyway, obviously… I’m quite unhappy. I don’t mean to shit on everyone’s parade. If you love Spain, well good! Happy for ya! But there’s no need to attack me (not talking about you, Expatriator) just cuz i’m of a different opinion. I love tea, British accents, and the cold and the fog, I just *know* that I was a Londoner in a past life, it’s where I’m supposed to be! 😊 London… I’m coming!

Posted: 04 February 2011 05:30 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

goldbabyshriek

OK…taking things in no particular order?

okay… Look, I don?t wanna be a deuce bag.

I think the word is actually douche bag?but, being Californian it goes with the territory.

We have a word for people like you in California: Janky

Strange that, we have a word for people like you too?we call them Californians.

You know, California where everything is just sooooooo perfect?NOT!

People have been so rude since the first day. The concept of customer service does not even exist here. You walk into a restaurant and the waiter looks at you like you?re bugging him instead of paying him. Nobody smiles. Spanish people seem very clique-y. They also seem very ... ?This is Madrid and I?m Madridian and I?ve never left Madrid but Madrid is the shit and I know this cuz I?m Madridian.? OK, there?s like one nice part, and that?s the center where they take all the tourists and make them believe that?s the real Spain.

Actually?that?s Madrile?o or Madrile?a?and you will find exactly the same attitude applies when you go to London.

The concept of customer service does not even exist here.

Ever tried dealing with AT&T? American Airlines? The IRS? Amtrack?

And just WTF is a ?retail associate?? Is that Wal-Mart speak for shop assistant?

Re Customer Service…Just because an American says ?you have a nice day now? which seems to have penetrated into any transaction or dealing with American Customer Service departments doesn?t mean that there is any depth of feeling there. My wife recently had to get in touch with our web hosting service in Los Angeles because they had totally screwed up something over 100 blogs and websites; when they finally admitted it was a screw-up on their part guess what they said?you got it…  ?You have a nice day??

Basically life here or anywhere in Europe is all about attitude; start throwing around an attitude of

“I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now,”
“I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now,? (c) Queen

And the Spanish will very quickly ignore you and treat you with contempt as will people from any European country.

I hate that businesses close in the middle of the day for no good reason, then open again at 4 or 5, then close again at 6 or 7.

Actually it?s more like 9.30pm and there is damn good reason for this; so far you have only experienced this country during the autumn and winter. When the midday temperature hits 40-45C (104-113F) which it does regularly for weeks on end during the summer, for people working outside it?s too bloody dangerous, sunstroke, dehydration, sunburn?and to keep shops and offices cool costs an arm and a leg. The streets become something like Death Valley. So they split the working day.

I almost fainted when i got here and realized that indoor smoking was allowed. Uhh?1950s much? And all the cigarette butts on the *FLOORS* of restaurants??? I wanted to barf. thank god it?s banned now.

Something else the world has to thank California for I guess?

Seriously if you think Spain sucks you wait until you try actually living in London; it seems you are going over there with the same ?The other mans grass is always greener? attitude that you had when you first arrived here; sorry but you will find that the reality is something else when you get over there; and its not just London it?s any major city in the UK.

One other thing?as a final offering,

?You can always tell a Californian?but you can?t tell him (her) much?because they already know it all!?

Spain isn’t for everyone; it’s clearly not for you, just don’t go getting your hopes up about Life in London. I lived there when I was your age and it can be the loneliest place on the planet.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 04 February 2011 04:26 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-27
foxbat - 04 February 2011 05:30 AM

goldbabyshriek

I think the word is actually douche bag?but, being Californian it goes with the territory.

We have a word for people like you in California: Janky

You know, California where everything is just sooooooo perfect?NOT!

Actually?that?s Madrile?o or Madrile?a?and you will find exactly the same attitude applies when you go to London.

Ever tried dealing with AT&T? American Airlines? The IRS? Amtrack?

Basically life here or anywhere in Europe is all about attitude; start throwing around an attitude of

And the Spanish will very quickly ignore you and treat you with contempt as will people from any European country.

I hate that businesses close in the middle of the day for no good reason, then open again at 4 or 5, then close again at 6 or 7.

Actually it?s more like 9.30pm and there is damn good reason for this; so far you have only experienced this country during the autumn and winter. When the midday temperature hits 40-45C (104-113F) which it does regularly for weeks on end during the summer, for people working outside it?s too bloody dangerous, sunstroke, dehydration, sunburn?and to keep shops and offices cool costs an arm and a leg. The streets become something like Death Valley. So they split the working day.

I almost fainted when i got here and realized that indoor smoking was allowed. Uhh?1950s much? And all the cigarette butts on the *FLOORS* of restaurants??? I wanted to barf. thank god it?s banned now.

Something else the world has to thank California for I guess?

Seriously if you think Spain sucks you wait until you try actually living in London; it seems you are going over there with the same ?The other mans grass is always greener? attitude that you had when you first arrived here; sorry but you will find that the reality is something else when you get over there; and its not just London it?s any major city in the UK.

One other thing?as a final offering,

?You can always tell a Californian?but you can?t tell him (her) much?because they already know it all!?

Spain isn’t for everyone; it’s clearly not for you, just don’t go getting your hopes up about Life in London. I lived there when I was your age and it can be the loneliest place on the planet.

fb

ok, so i tried being nice. I also tried pointing out multiple times that this thread was originally about someone’s need for advice regarding the cost vs. benefit of taking a TEFL course. Do you really have nothing better to do? Do you think that you’ve changed my mind at all? Do you feel better now that you believe you have made me look stupid? I. don’t. like. Madrid. Mmkay, sweet pea? If that makes your ass clench up, I suggest you take a moment, close your eyes, breathe deeply, and then get the hell over it.

In particular order, this time:

1. Just because it sounds like “douche” doesn’t mean it’s spelled that way. The term is deuce bag. Douche is a verb, not a noun.

2. Did I actually say “California is perfect”? I don’t even like the beach or the sun, I couldn’t wait to get out of there and if I returned to the US, it wouldn’t be to California. You don’t know me, you don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re a moron.

3. Actually, in English, it’s Madridian. And also, I’ve been to London. And I had a wonderful time and several satisfactory customer service experiences 😊

4. I love AT&T. They were my phone and internet providers for 4 years. Amazing deals, great customer service, and when they messed up, they always credited my account. No complaints, love. By the way, i was talking about face-to-face customer service. You know, at a caf?, at a store. I’m talking about personal contact, not when you call AA cuz your baggage was lost. Did you actually even read my post, or just pick and choose what you thought you could use to make yourself look clever?

5. You are absolutely incorrect in assuming that i have an “i want it and i want it now!” attitude. If i had that kind of attitude, i don’t think i would’ve waited 10 minutes, without saying a single word, while some ugly chick with bad teeth who looked like she had a hangover talked on her mobile instead of doing her damn job and cashiering when a customer walks up to the counter. That had NEVER happened to me before I arrived in Madrid. Ne-ver. It’s outrageous that people can get away with that here.

6. Wow, i didn’t know that Spain was the only place in the world where it actually gets hot in the summer. So they close all businesses instead of just stopping outdoor work. Makes perfect sense. Please, what a lame ass excuse. The siesta is still a practice because it’s culturally ingrained and they don’t wanna let it go. That’s it, k? Construction and road workers work out in the heat ALL SUMMER LONG in the US - Grab some iced water & get to work. Oh, and theyre not dead. They just have a good tan. It’s called having a real work ethic.

7. Judging by your response to my post about the cigarette butts on the floor, you must be a smoker. Well you know what? We non-smokers don’t actually like it when our food smells like f*&!ing cigarettes, k? We don’t like stopping for a coffee and coming out smelling like a damn ash tray. Oh, and there’s this one other thing - We don’t like getting lung cancer from secondhand smoke while we’re eating our lunch! So if you’re seriously trying to put down California for its HEALTH codes, you are, lemme spell it out for ya, a d-e-u-c-e bag!

And to finalize, once again, please just get over it. I don’t like Madrid, but if you do, I’m totally okay with that. I don’t feel the need to shit on your parade, so don’t shit on mine.

Posted: 16 February 2011 03:04 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-02-12

This whole thing seems like a lot of bickering and I really don’t want to get involved….. but as I am native English, I would be interested to know just how much time you spent in London and what it was that made you love it so…. I actually HATE HATE HATE the place!!!!!  I’m from the north of England, not that a Londoner would know - in fact to most of them - there isn’t a Britain outside of London!

Posted: 28 February 2011 02:48 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-02-16

In response to the original post, yes it is possible to teach in private language schools, without a university degree.
In response to the posts that followed, there are a number of awful aspects to living and working in both Spain and the U.K.
People will have different experiences when living in Spain, especially if they are not involved in earning a living in this country.
It would be interesting if somebody could supply the statistics for working British expats and retired British expats in Spain, as I’m sure the majority must be retired or do not need to work.

Signature 

http://www.theexpatmarketplace.co.uk 😊

Posted: 03 March 2011 11:03 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-11-13
foxbat - 04 February 2011 05:30 AM

Yep, this is true in many European countries, France on top I suppose ^_^

Anyway, going back to topic, I’m suprised to hear those diplomas cost so much, I would stay well clear of them and build up your CV as suggested. Best of luck.

Signature 

Irish guy in Pontevedra, find me also on
http://www.facebook.com or
http://www.englishpresence.com :coolhmm:

1 2 > 
1 of 2