2 of 3
New here….
Posted: 10 May 2011 04:54 AM   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
Harlequin - 08 May 2011 02:47 PM

We offer a 20 Mbit/s connection (which realistically provides a D/S rate of up to 8 Mbit’s) which may be of use to you.

I am curious though… Both from a personal and technical perspective…

9 Mbit’s minimum…? I don’t wish to tell anyone how to do their job but I also work with the Internet and find 2-3 mbit’s quite sufficient…

Two things:
1. we have 20Mbs synchronous at our office in the US and it’s a godsend. I go crazy on anything less now. I’m a pretty hardcore user though. 2-3Mbit/s would have me crawling up the walls.
2. why would a 20 Mbit/s connection actually only provide 8Mbit/s? If it’s DSL it should be guaranteed bandwidth.

(also note that we’re hawks for promotional linking, so be careful posting links or your account could get banned).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 10 May 2011 06:39 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2011-04-02

Hi Expat

I agree that while 20 Mbit/s in the US is average, by T1 standards probably slow. Here in Tenerife, the Canary islands and other parts of Spain 8 Mbit/s is blisteringly fast.

Why give 8 and sell it as 20…? That was my question exactly when we started this project. The answer, we’re selling Peninsula products on an island. In the peninsula 20 Mbit/s is achievable but only in placed and I haven’t seen anything fater tan 16 Mbit/s (Madrid if memory serves me correctly).

It’s the nature of the beast unfortunately and we have to live with it.

With regards linking…

I have links in my signature, that’s OK I presume…? I think what you’re saying is that I shouldn’t link within the content of a thread unless it’s for something that’s been specifically requested, no…?

Posted: 10 May 2011 01:29 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-02-18
Harlequin - 10 May 2011 06:39 AM

Hi Expat

I agree that while 20 Mbit/s in the US is average, by T1 standards probably slow. Here in Tenerife, the Canary islands and other parts of Spain 8 Mbit/s is blisteringly fast.

Why give 8 and sell it as 20…? That was my question exactly when we started this project. The answer, we’re selling Peninsula products on an island. In the peninsula 20 Mbit/s is achievable but only in placed and I haven’t seen anything fater tan 16 Mbit/s (Madrid if memory serves me correctly).

It’s the nature of the beast unfortunately and we have to live with it.

With regards linking…

I have links in my signature, that’s OK I presume…? I think what you’re saying is that I shouldn’t link within the content of a thread unless it’s for something that’s been specifically requested, no…?

If somebody has a 1mb connection with Telefonica can you offer a higher speed?

Posted: 10 May 2011 01:43 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-02

Yes.

Long version…

We decided a while ago to take each case as it comes because although this protracts things it gives better service. Why…? Because we’ve found in some cases a customer has a connection with a competitor but BT have no infrastructure to provide. Also, we have found the contrary in some cases. So, to make life a little easier we have a process in place that means we check each application prior to sale and go through certain steps.

By all means feel free to get in touch through our website (I’m online now) and provide a fixed line number. From this, we can tell you what speeds are available to you and at what cost…

Hop that’s of some use.

Posted: 10 May 2011 01:53 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-02-18
Harlequin - 10 May 2011 01:43 PM

Yes.

Long version…

We decided a while ago to take each case as it comes because although this protracts things it gives better service. Why…? Because we’ve found in some cases a customer has a connection with a competitor but BT have no infrastructure to provide. Also, we have found the contrary in some cases. So, to make life a little easier we have a process in place that means we check each application prior to sale and go through certain steps.

By all means feel free to get in touch through our website (I’m online now) and provide a fixed line number. From this, we can tell you what speeds are available to you and at what cost…

Hop that’s of some use.

So if Telefonica can only provide a certain speed and various Dominion Engineers have said that until fibre is laid the speed won’t improve you can still get better? How?

Also the website says you do a free line check but it actually costs ?50 if you don’t take your service.

So if one of your engineers does a survey and cannot improve the speed you have to pay ?50?

Posted: 10 May 2011 02:03 PM   [ # 21 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-02

Hi Soltec

First things first…

If you get in touch and provide a fixed line number I can tell you what speed the BT system can provide (this is a free service).

we only charge for a line check where an engineer has to visit a property because occassionaly a customer will insist.

The reason I simply responded “Yes” is because we have had a few of these connections and been able to provide a faster speed. You may prove me wrong but I doubt it 😊

Posted: 10 May 2011 10:41 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

internet speed in spain is low with fixline , this happen arcross EU ... 6 Mbit/s you so lucky in most area of spain , unless you in one off the major citys ...
i used VDSL2 i do i pay for it ....
jurdy
not lucky to have cabletv are fiber-optic cable in my area

Posted: 11 May 2011 02:35 AM   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

I have an ongoing problem with T’fonica…
Sort of chicken and egg situation…

We have three computers, all exhibit the same recurring problem.

I report a problem of sub dial up dsl speed to Telefonica, they acknowledge and send out an engineer from a local Granada company, sub contracted to maintain the phone and ADSL system.

Occasionally they visit the house but more often than not they go straight to the central switching and distribution station in the village.

Our internet then goes off for an hour or two (or 12 or 24!) then miraculously its back just the way it should be; 2.5-2.7Mbps for a contracted 3Mbps service.

All is well then for a period of up to about six weeks but normally more like 4 weeks when suddenly we are back to very slow speeds typically 150-350Kbps.

I normally hang on for a day before reporting it just in case it sorts itself out but then contact Telefonica again and report the re-appearance of the problem…
then the whole rigmarole starts again…

Harlequin… bearing in mind that you or any other company would have to interface with this crappy infrastructure it is hard to see how anyone could provide a better service…

An Analogy…Its a bit like the rail lines into London’s Waterloo Station…out in the country you can go as fast as you like within reason and send as many trains as you like towards London and it’s great ‘til you get to until you get to Clapham then you are stuffed with only six lines (and three of them are for traffic leaving London…) serving the last three miles into the entrance to Waterloo’s 21 platforms…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 11 May 2011 04:56 AM   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

better way sayying this , you got one plug abut 10 way ADAPTOR ......

Posted: 11 May 2011 12:29 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-02
foxbat - 11 May 2011 02:35 AM

Harlequin? bearing in mind that you or any other company would have to interface with this crappy infrastructure it is hard to see how anyone could provide a better service?

Once again, without checking there’s nothing I can do. I can’t even attempt to offer a better service if I’m not given information.

Posted: 11 May 2011 05:38 PM   [ # 26 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

bigblogger…

Please remove the totally irrelevant links from your signature or the post will be deleted.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 11 May 2011 09:12 PM   [ # 27 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

bigblogger…

Many thanks for your prompt action.

Following recent blanket spamming of the site, moderators are being pushed into a situation where we now have to be firm with signature links that can best be described as SPAM and that have no relevance to the nature of this forum or its various sections and threads.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 13 May 2011 10:29 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

One of the things that sets alarm bells ringing is the subscribers IP address which is displayed to the Moderators.

In your specific case your IP address by geo-location software appears to be Pretoria S.A.

I fully appreciate that in these days of I.T. it is possible to conduct business from just about anywhere on the globe,  but the most relevant up to date information is usually available first hand ‘in territory’ so to speak.

Please feel free to continue subscribing; relevant information is always welcome and please feel free also to place an entry in the Business Services Section.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 14 May 2011 02:25 AM   [ # 29 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-02
The Expatriator - 10 May 2011 04:54 AM
Harlequin - 08 May 2011 02:47 PM

We offer a 20 Mbit/s connection (which realistically provides a D/S rate of up to 8 Mbit’s) which may be of use to you.

I am curious though… Both from a personal and technical perspective…

9 Mbit’s minimum…? I don’t wish to tell anyone how to do their job but I also work with the Internet and find 2-3 mbit’s quite sufficient…

in the US

Got as far as that and stopped reading, sorry.

Posted: 18 May 2011 05:54 PM   [ # 30 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-02

You may also want to reasearch “NAP Tenerife” as this has been designed with the Western African market in mind.

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3