Non EU = Work Permit
Posted: 24 March 2007 09:04 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-03-24

I understand there has been a lot of discussion on this, but unfortunately am new to this site.  I am a South African citizen and have been offered a job in Spain and have the following questions if anyoen can answer.  I want to confirm what I have found out on other websites and through the Spanish High Commission.  1.  Can I have a work permit for one company, but working for another company as well?  2.  Can i apply for my NIE number without a Work Permit in my passport? 3.  Can I extend my 3 month holiday visa whilst in Spain until such time it is time for me to return to S.A. to obtain my Work Permit?  4.  Am I looking at a 4 month wait for my Work Permit or more?  5.  Do i have to hand my documentation in Spain AND the High Commission in my country of origin South Africa?

Posted: 24 March 2007 09:23 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
AngieY - 24 March 2007 09:04 PM

I understand there has been a lot of discussion on this, but unfortunately am new to this site.  I am a South African citizen and have been offered a job in Spain and have the following questions if anyoen can answer.  I want to confirm what I have found out on other websites and through the Spanish High Commission.  1.  Can I have a work permit for one company, but working for another company as well?  2.  Can i apply for my NIE number without a Work Permit in my passport? 3.  Can I extend my 3 month holiday visa whilst in Spain until such time it is time for me to return to S.A. to obtain my Work Permit?  4.  Am I looking at a 4 month wait for my Work Permit or more?  5.  Do i have to hand my documentation in Spain AND the High Commission in my country of origin South Africa?

“Unfortunately” you’re new to the site? No no, fortunately you’re new to the site! 😉 heh heh

Anyway, let’s see here:
1. Yes, you can work for another company at the same time (99% sure)
2. Yes, you can apply for your NIE before you even get to Spain.
3. No, technically you can’t (not that I’m aware of anyway). A lot of people stay past their tourist visa for one reason or another without any recourse; they don’t come looking for you and they don’t check passports that carefully. Probably it would be better not to do so though.
4. See our page on work visas. Yes, it could be 4 months, sometimes longer, maybe shorter. Welcome to Spanish bureaucracy… :(
5. I think the above page on work visas should clarify that.

Good luck!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 24 April 2007 05:30 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-12-12

1.  Can I have a work permit for one company, but working for another company as well? 
No, but it depends.
2.  Can i apply for my NIE number without a Work Permit in my passport?
Yes.
3.  Can I extend my 3 month holiday visa whilst in Spain until such time it is time for me to return to S.A. to obtain my Work Permit?
Yes under certain conditions
4.  Am I looking at a 4 month wait for my Work Permit or more?
Yes and even more, it depends on the kind of work and the “Contingente”, delicate matter.
5.  Do i have to hand my documentation in Spain AND the High Commission in my country of origin South Africa?
What documentation are you talking about, your passport?

Posted: 24 April 2007 08:10 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
armando.HERGER - 24 April 2007 05:30 PM

3.  Can I extend my 3 month holiday visa whilst in Spain until such time it is time for me to return to S.A. to obtain my Work Permit?
Yes under certain conditions

Hmm, ya learn something new everyday. :D Good one Armando. Any idea what conditions those would be?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.