Canadian citizen living in UK wanting to teach english in Spain
Posted: 18 May 2007 08:48 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-05-18

Hello,

My name is Gareth and I am a Canadian citizen who has been living/working in the UK for the past 6 months. I currently hold a UK Ancestry Visa (my dad is English born and holds a valid UK passport) which is valid for 5 years and I have been looking into getting my UK passport in order to be able to work in other EU countries. I don’t think I’ll be able to get it because I can’t get my passport application countersigned by anyone as I haven’t been here long enough to know anyone for at least 2 years.

I recently visited Spain to volunteer on a program called VaughanTown in Avila. I absolutely loved Spanish culture and the people were much friendlier in general than, no offense, British people. This is where I became interested in teaching English for a year (maybe more?) in Spain. Unfortunately, I do not have the right to work in the EU without a UK passport. I am classified as a non-EU citizen then and would therefore either need a work visa or work permit, along with a residency permit to work in Spain…correct? I don’t really want to go to Spain without having a job lined up though as it would be very stressful trying to get about in a country where I know the very basic language. Also, it doesn’t seem like I will be considered to teach English without actually living in Spain available for interview. Does anyone have any advice that they can give me?

I have a degree in business as a marketing major. I am also bilingual in French and English. But I want to do something different for a year and teaching English in Spain while learning the language seems like something I would absolutely love. Unfortunately, I am in the UK and can’t apply for work visas unless I am in Canada? Or at least that is what I understand.

Also, is it possible to get a work permit when you have a contract for less than one year? Say 6 months?

Well that is it for now. I may post more when I get a reply.

P.s. I am interested in working primarily in Barcelona or Valencia with Madrid as a third option just in case the person who replies knows of companies who would recruit me in these areas.

Thanks!!!

Posted: 18 May 2007 10:11 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hmm, are you sure your UK visa isn’t valid in Spain?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 19 May 2007 01:02 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-05-18

I’m pretty sure.  I am assuming that it is not valid because it is for the UK and not for Spain.  Have you heard of a situation where you think it might be valid or are you just speculating as well?  I haven’t found anything online that has said it is valid in other EU countries.