Let’s talk Barcelona
Posted: 27 August 2006 07:56 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-08-25

I’m planning on staying in Barcelona for November and December.  Is there anything special I should know about these months?  ie: Weather, people etc.  Also, Can someone tell me where the safest lodgings are while I try to find an apartment, or where I should be looking for a safe apartment, rather?  I had an awful situation in Nice with stalkers and harrassment.  I’m taller, blonde and don’t speak Spanish…so I am an easy target!!  HELP!!

Posted: 28 August 2006 07:32 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Bizzy Bliss,

Welcome to the forum!

November and December are fine months to visit, as long as you’re not expecting beaches, chiringuitos (beach bars) and bikinis… it’s not super warm. About 15C as a high and down to around 7 or 8 at night.

As for safe areas, you’ll want to stay out of the centre most likely. Check out Gracia (fairly safe but very cool area), San Gervasi or Sarri?. The latter two being on the very expensive side though. Staying near Passeig de Gracia and la Rambla de Catalunya wouldn’t be a bad idea either, as that’s where you’ll find a lot of the high fashion stores, therefore tourists and models, therefore a blonder crowd so to speak.

In any case, you’re going to get lots of looks and cat calls as a blonde, particularly at night. If you know how to handle yourself you won’t likely have a problem. From the sounds of it this is something you’ve experienced before… Spain and Italy are quite similar in that way though, tall and blonde is like being a magnet for Spanish eyes.

In general though, everyone I’ve known have said they feel much safer in Barcelona than any other comparable city of it’s size.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.