Have job offer - work visa question
Posted: 16 January 2012 01:06 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-16

Hi All,

Ive been sorting through all the posts but still can’t find anything quite like my case.
I am a 26 year old female Canadian citizen.  I have been backpacking Europe and the UK for 3 months and fell in love with Spain.
While here I went for an interview and was offered a job position.
I knew I had to look into a visa from there and I am well aware of how difficult it is.
I spoke with the Spanish consulate in Canada and was told the employer first needs to apply for a permit in order to be able to hire a non EU citizen.
Upon letting the company know what I was told they set up a meeting with their lawyer who is apparently specialized in the work permits for non EU citizens.  He told them that currently the job market is entirely closed for non EU citizens unless supremely qualified and in need.  Due to this they didn’t seem to want to proceed and left it at that.
Do you think it’s just because of the hassle?  Is there still someway I could get a work visa or student visa or something so that I can take up this job?
Im know if there’s a will there’s a way and am not convinced by not even trying!
It’s the most perfect position and I’ll do whatever it takes to be there.
I’d happily make the attempt to go without a visa however they didn’t seem to even consider this option.
So what are my options?
I know a student visa is easier to get so what are the requirements?  Could I take a year long Spanish course or something and work part time?  As I do want to learn Spanish of course.
The goal is to be on Mallorca as that’s where the position is.
Please let me kno any thoughts or advice
  Thanks
  Shawna

Posted: 18 January 2012 05:44 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I know someone who went through their Canadian company for invoicing their Spanish client. Financially the client is safe but have to make wire transfers to Canada (unless said Canadian company opens a Spanish bank account). Whether or not you work remotely or locally is a separate matter, as is how long you stay in the country. The client is removed of responsibility for your status. This might be something you can pitch to the client to keep them safe and take full responsibility for your legal status. Eventually your Canadian company could open a branch office in Spain and have to hire you to run their office…

This isn’t as expensive as it sounds but it requires ingenuity and hard work.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 18 January 2012 03:31 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-18

Not sure if this addresses your concerns, but might be of some help to others who are non-EU citizens. My experience has been consistent with the advice you received from your company’s lawyer.  I work for a multinational with headquarters in Spain and my Spanish work permit application was made well over a year ago.  It was denied and so was the appeal.  Every effort was made to stress “extreme” qualifications and need - to no avail.  I finally got a work permit via the inter-company transfer method - where I will remain as an employee of the overseas affiliate, and I assume is available because I technically will not be taking a job from a Spanish citizen.  Unfortunately, getting the visa process for my family is now in the web of the Spanish bureaucracy so we have yet to move.  Overall, a very painful process!

Posted: 18 January 2012 09:29 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I suppose people need to understand that with the very (very) high Spanish unemployment rate and a lot of them are very well qualified they will not be anxious to allow foreigners a work visa in these difficult times - doubtless it is the same in reverse?

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 18 January 2012 11:53 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Shawna121 welcome to the forum ,
one you where in spain when you went for interview ? you saw are heard the jobs was going ?
could please tell more
and pm me about the company ... as there lot scam that go on with job been offter via websites
and look up who that are and so

jurdy