Living in Spain without being a resident
Posted: 27 September 2006 06:33 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-09-27

I am a UK citizen. I plan to move to Spain in the near future but I won’t be getting a job or becoming self-employed. I will just live off savings and perhaps some money from playing poker online. I think retired would probably be the most appropiate status, although I am only 41. Is it possible to live most of the year without applying for Spanish residency? If so, what would be the disadvantages of doing so?

Steve

Posted: 28 September 2006 04:02 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Steve,
If you’re from the UK then you don’t need to worry about anything but how you arrange your taxes. Get a good expat tax lawyer for that!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 09 October 2006 11:52 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2006-10-04

Hi Steve

I am also looking at doing the exact same thing, I’m sure I could be persuaded to do a little if I get bored (not possible with 3 children) but the only concern that I have is the tax regime and also had to best invest etc. All the postings I have seen direct to a url for an overview, but are there any books, guides that can be downloaded on this topic?

If you find a repository for info etc let me know as I would be interested in also dipping my feet as well.

thanks

Paul

Posted: 15 October 2006 06:04 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Try this guys:
Amazon tax books for Spain

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 15 October 2006 10:31 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

As far as I understand the law if you are not legally working in the Spanish system or not a full pensioner you have no legal alternative but to apply for residencia.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 21 October 2006 05:36 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2006-08-24

You can apply for non lucrative visa.

Signature 

Mar?a L. de Castro
Lawyer
http://www.costaluzlawyers.es
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 15 November 2006 03:25 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2006-09-06

A book we used all the time when we first arrived in Spain is ‘Living and Working in Spain’. Sorry cant remember the authors name as I’ve lent it to someone else.

😊