Long term tourist or resident visa
Posted: 17 November 2006 03:18 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-16

I am a Canadian academic who wants to spend longer than the 90 days I am allowed to stay
in Spain as a tourist, but not much longer than 130 days for research and leisure. I understand
that in order to do be able to do this, I must apply for a visado de residencia de larga
estancia. I wouldn’t mind doing this, however, the process can take up to 4 months and
it costs $762.00, which is an outrageous amount of money. What are my alternatives here in
terms of staying without having to get this visa? Can’t I just leave and re-enter Spain before
the 90 days are up, or else enter Spain through another EU country, that is, making my first point
of entry in Europe any country but Spain?  Thanks.

Posted: 17 November 2006 07:20 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi ffvancouver,

Well, technically speaking, you can’t do this. Your 90 days is good only for 90 days in any given 6 month period. There is no visa run option like in Asia.

Practically speaking yes, lots of people do this. I know (Canadian/American/Aussie) expats who have stayed for years by entering the EU through Italy, Germany, Holland, etc, thus getting stamped there so when you enter Spain (via a different carrier) you don’t get a stamp. The authorities can’t know exactly how long you’ve been here without checking international records (so just don’t go and get arrested or anything). Some people say you can only spend 90 days of 6 months in the EU Schengen Treaty countries, but this rule is pretty lax is practice, especially in Spain.

I’m not encouraging you to do this, but just saying that I know people who have done it.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 17 November 2006 08:56 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-11-16

Dear Expatriator:

Thanks very much for your reply.  I will be sure to contribute to your site.
One other question: Do you know whether it is easier (or possible) to apply
for the longer term visa once inside Spain, and much less expensive for that matter?

Thanks,

FF

Posted: 15 December 2006 12:04 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-10-05

I am interested in this thread, because my wife & I are seriously considering a move to Spain from the UK.  We are going in Feb 2007 for a month to have a look round the Eastern side of Spain.  We are looking for an area on this trip, (not a specific building!)  Having found an area we will then return for another month, say April, to search for property.  We hope to then rent for 6 months or more just to see if we are making the correct decision.  If we like it we are then going to make the permenant move.  Does anyone know where we would stand with needing a residency permit?  Would we need one during our 6 months rental period or will it wait until the “proper” move?

I have tried “official” government offices and they tell you the “official” answer but then say, ” But of course no one knows your there until you buy property/open a bank account”.

I don’t want to be deported or arrested!  So can anyone help.

Posted: 15 December 2006 02:41 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-11-16

You are from the UK, and as a member nation in the EU, I don’t believe that you have any residence
issues at all; you are allowed to live in Spain for as long as you want, although I remember seeing
a thread on this site about EU member citizens moving from one country to another.