Padr?n
Posted: 15 December 2006 04:40 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2006-12-15

Hi everyone;

I’m new to this website and here in Spain 5 years. I was wondering whether anyone knew anything or could give me any information about the following:
My husband and I are both EU and have residence cards here. They have just run out and we are waiting for our renewals to come back (done finger prints). You are allowed to apply for a new one 60 days before the old one runs out, which we did, and we are now a month after the expiry date without a new residence card (big surprise!) However, in the meantime, the registro general has taken us off the padr?n. We got a letter in August telling us to re-register, which we did, but because the residence card has expired they have taken us off and won’t put us back on until we get the new card.
The problem I have is that the letter telling us we’ve been taken off quotes a law saying that non-EU residents have to re-register every two years. As I said to the lady at the office, we are EU and have the right to live here with or without a residence card and for as long as we want so this law doesn’t apply to us. Then she said that the law has been changed and it applies to ALL foreigners - they just haven’t got round to changing the letter yet!
I know it’s only a small thing and it’s not the end of the world to be taken off the padr?n - no doubt we’ll get the new cards within a month and be able to put ourselves back on - but I’ve heard from a friend that if you want to get Spanish nationality later they say that this is a break in residency (you have to be resident for 10 full years to get the papers) and you have all sorts of problems. And it’s the principal of the thing - we’ve done everything they told us to do and it makes no difference. Anyone out there got any similar experiences or know anything about this (supposed) new law?

Posted: 15 December 2006 11:33 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

It sounds like *cough* bullshit *cough* she doesn’t know what she’s doing, like <strike>most</strike> many Spanish government workers :D.

I haven’t heard anything about this new “law”. If you find anything further out however, I’d love to know.

Good luck with all that, it doesn’t sound like fun.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

‹‹ Cars in Spain      Mailing To U.S. from Spain ››