Non Lucrative Visa
Posted: 28 May 2007 01:26 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-05-27

Hi Everyone,

I find this forum to be extremely beneficial, its the best on the Internet for spain expats!

I have read all the posts regrading this subject but didn’t get definite answers.

I and my wife are planning to move to Catalunya, Spain within 6 months. We plan to live in Spain for a period of minimum 1 year.

We are Non EU.

1.  Since I work over the Internet, I don’t require a work permit. I understand that probably the best option for us is to apply for a Non lucrative visa. I have savings of more than 50,000 euros. I Do Not have a yearly income of $75,000 (it is written as a requirement in several places on the Internet).
Will this be sufficient for me and my wife to get a non lucrative visa for a minimum 1 year? If not, how much is required?
What are the chances of success?

(The money is in a German bank, if required I can transfer it to a bank account in Spain which I will need to open).

3.  Can we get a NIE with this visa? Is the NIE sufficient for renting a house, buying a car, opening a bank account etc. or do we need other documents?

Can we get an NIE with only a tourist visa?

4.  Do we must have a residence permit? Given the information above, do we qualify for it?

Can anyone recommend a lawyer or a person who can assist in this process?

Thanks for any help.

Posted: 29 May 2007 09:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi John,

1. I think you’re close to the “requirements” for the non-lucrative, in fact so close I’d bet they’ll grant it anyway, although that might depend on which non-EU country you’re from.
3. You can get an NIE right now. See our page on NIEs and other IDs

4. If you keep surfing around the site here you’ll see that there are quite a few people who want to stay in Spain for a year or two but without getting a proper visa. You may be in this situation too. Search for “stay illegally in Spain”.

As for a lawyer, there are a few lurking around the site here too. I suggest digging one up! 😊

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 29 May 2007 09:26 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-05-27

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply (btw, you have a great site!).
Why do they write “Yearly” income if it is only required to show the amount in savings which is Not yearly?
Do you know of anybody who managed to get the Non lucrative visa by showing a saving account, Not a yearly income from investments etc.?
Is it simple enough so I don’t need a lawyer for that?
Is the NIE sufficient for renting a house, buying a car, opening a bank account etc. or do we need other documents?

Thanks again for any help,
John

Posted: 29 May 2007 10:05 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi John,
No, sorry. I don’t know anyone personally. There have been a few members on the site here that took that route however, so see if you can look them up and ask!

About renting a house
Buying a second hand car
Getting a bank account

Check those out. You don’t need an NIE for each one, but it depends on what kind of transaction you want to make.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.