Extending a Spanish Student/Work Visa past work dates to travel?
Posted: 22 May 2008 08:09 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-05-22

I am a Canadian applying for a Student or Work Visa (not sure which one applies yet) for Spain. I have a student job (internship) for 9 months, then I plan to travel for 3 months around the Schengen countries and UK/Ireland. Do I simply submit my Schengen visa application (+ extra materials) and tack 3 months on the end, or are they going to be sticky about giving me my visa for those extra months? They would be able to see from the documents sent by my employer that I am requesting a longer period than I need for my job.

Also, after my visa expires, could I simply be considered a tourist and have 90 days for travelling purposes?

Posted: 04 June 2008 05:28 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-05-22

So…. no one knows? Should I just apply for my 9 month visa and travel around afterwards, hoping I don’t get checked for my passport?  I guess I can’t go to the UK? I suppose I could plead ignorance that I thought I could be considered a tourist post the expiration of my student visa. Any ideas??

Posted: 04 June 2008 01:29 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Well it’s probably not that no one knows… actually yes, it’s probably that no one knows. What you’re doing is pretty outside the norm for any of us. Sure you’ll get a few hundred people a year that do exactly what you’re doing, but once they’ve done it they’re probably not going to be back on the web site here. No one here is a customs/immigration officer either. We don’t review applications.

Based on what you’ve said it sounds like you have no choice but to try your idea. I have no other suggestions for you other than if worse comes to worse, you can probably stick around without too much of a problem. Then again, that visa in your passport is a pretty clear indication of your allowed stay.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 June 2008 04:51 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-05-22

Sorry for my ignorance, I wasn’t expecting anyone on here to be customs officers or application reviewers. I was just lost because none of the authorities had any advice for me, including the Spanish consulate, Canadian politicians, friends who have travelled, etc. It’s disheartening to have no educated suggestions on a subject that I know nothing about owing to a lifetime without travelling and no contacts. I guess I just hoped that someone might have some experience in that.

Posted: 06 June 2008 06:11 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I’m sorry if I came across as short. As a Canadian I completely feel your pain - being in the EU can be difficult.

I just got a new passport a few months ago as the last one expired. It has no stamps and a new identification/passport number. I highly highly doubt that the Canadian passport system shares its data with the Spanish embassy. Ie. if you get a new passport, it’s like having a clean record. Again, I don’t know this for certain and of course I can’t condone anything illegal here on the site, but while they’re closing more and more loopholes every year, this one still seems to be open.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 07 July 2009 06:41 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-07-07

I have the same basic question, did you find an answer for this?  My student visa expires in 3 months, and I am wondering if I have to make an application to extend it as a tourist after, or if the 90 day tourist visa is automatic after the student visa expires. 

Does anyone know the law on this?

Posted: 07 July 2009 08:47 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

would have to go to where you frist got you student visa and ask there , as each case is diffrent

jurdy

Posted: 13 July 2009 05:53 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-07-07

Thanks for you reply, I have contacted the VISA authority about it, and they say that if the stay is more than 6 months, then you must leave the Shengan for 3 months after it expires. 

In other countries I know that if you complete a degree in the country, then you are entitled a period of extension afterwards (Denmark - 6 months, US - 1 year).  Do you know if Spain has any similar rules for this?

Posted: 15 July 2009 03:17 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

hi n finn,

if you want to extend the student permit, you have to enrol in an officially recognized course with a 15 hour/week (more or less) load. (you don’t have to attend, though)
if you want a tourist visa, it really depends on your citizenship. there are visa waivers, depending on the country you are from.
if your citizenship is not entitled to a visa waiver then you have to apply for a tourist visa in your country submitting tourist requirements.
why would you do that if you already in spain?

‹‹ Homulgation of vehicles      Residencia ››