Water quality?
Posted: 14 July 2006 07:32 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-07-14

We noticed during a recent trip to Spain that most foriegners were drinking bottled water. We’d read to beware of local water, but don’t know if it’s a “your stomach gets used to it” kind of thing. If we live there for a year, are we best advised to drink only bottled water?
Thanks!
-Megan

Posted: 15 July 2006 01:36 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-06-03

Talking about water quality in Spain is like discussing pieces of string as in “how long is a piece of string?”.

In our village water comes from a borehole and is filtered and purified by an automated plant. Sometimes after heavy rain the plant fails and we get the borehole water straight from the well - more like weird tasting weak tea than clear, clean water.

Since silver was mined locally until recently (C?cres area) there are the expected traces of various heavy metals in the deep groundwater along with clayey particulate matter.

It has a metallic odour which reminds me of colliery waste water pumped from mine workings in the area wher I was brought up in the East Midlands (North of Nottingham).

The local clerk at the Ayuntamiento says that the water presents no biological threat and is adequately chlorinated.

Most of the locals buy mineral water for drinking - 8 litres for about 1?00. I don’t drink the tap water copiously but will use it to clean my teeth or to wash down an aspirin etc.

Best wishes

Dave J

Signature 

Dave J
In sunny Extremadura

Posted: 16 July 2006 04:21 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Yep, couldn’t have said it better myself, except to say that where I live we drink mostly bottled water because it tastes better. If you leave a bottle of tap water in the fridge for a day or so it tastes almost as good however.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 October 2006 08:12 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-10-05

:coolhmm: I stayed in Rota South Spain and drank the tap water i had a upset tummy for One week! Mind you my Spanish family drank it and had no problems! I have drank Sevilla tap water and it is fine, i would say if you are not sure buy bottled, or consult English people living in the area if at all possible. I hope i have been helpful to you.

Posted: 10 October 2006 12:11 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2006-09-27

I live in a mountain village in Catalunya. The tap water is perfectly ok to drink, but i find it has a slightly weird taste.

We have a mountain spring a couple of kilometers from here, so i go and refill the large 5 and 8 liter bottles from there, and if the spring is dry, i buy it from the shops.

Jools